Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect wooden front door threshold?

AliceS
Just Starting Out

How to protect wooden front door threshold?

I have an existing hardwood threshold for my front door that has been restored by sanding it back. What is the best product to use to protect the wood now? Is Cabots Aquadeck decking oil suitable? The tin doesn't mention doors, or thresholds, just decks. Will it provide the protection required for a heavily used threshold?

Note, threshold is outside undercoverFront door thresholdFront door threshold (and inside) .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect wooden front door threshold

Hello @AliceS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your timber threshold.

The conditions for using the Cabots Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil is that the timber piece must be free of varnish and sealants. The timber must be able to absorb the oil into its pores. The Aquadeck will provide adequate protection for your timber threshold, but please keep in mind that this is a heavily used part of the entrance and through time and attrition it will eventually get scuffed.

A good way to find out if the timber surface is ready to be oiled is to do the water bead test. Drop a few beads on top of the timber threshold and if it gets absorbed it is ready for oiling. However, if it beads and rolls away, you'll need to do more sanding and prep work to remove the old stain that was there.  

Just like the entrance to a deck, the area where people initially put their foot down is the area that wears out early. But because the threshold is used more often, the coating on it will eventually thin out. Re-coating will depend on how worn out it is. I recommend keeping a small amount of Aquadeck in the garage for a yearly re-coat to keep it nice and fresh.

I don't recommend using varnishes with gloss finishes as damage to its surface is much more noticeable compared to Aquadeck. My number one tip is to test a small area of the threshold and see if you're happy with the finish before committing to the whole area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RenoRach1
Making a Splash

Re: How to protect wooden front door threshold?

I've used the products from Bunnings' Intergrain range on my 50m2 covered back deck and steps and now on my new merbau floor on my front verandah, as below. I can definitely recommend them! On the back deck (which is 20 years old, scarily!), it received its initial application of Intergrain when it was new. When I had the house painted, the "professional" painter cut corners and used decking oil. 18 months later, my husband sanded it back and I did the Intergrain. When it came to having a new front verandah floor installed on our Queenslander, there was no other product we'd trust...and I did all of the painting myself!

Front verandah - merbau timber and Intergrain Heavy DutyFront verandah - merbau timber and Intergrain Heavy Duty

This finish was achieved by using the UltraPrep Tannin & Oil Remover, two coats of Intergrain Primer and four coats of https://www.bunnings.com.au/intergrain-4l-heavy-duty-timber-finish_p1563447.  I used four coats of the Heavy Duty because the verandah faces west.

Follow the helpful instructions on the tin; the hardest thing was dealing with my impatience between coats! If you can use a broom, you can use a lambswool applicator to apply Intergrain to a deck.

Your deck looks lovely, @RenoRach1. It's great to get some first-hand feedback on the Intergrain 4L Heavy Duty Timber Finish. Since it's a premium coating that can last considerably longer than decking oils, your deck should look magnificent for quite some time.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Many thanks @MitchellMc. I plan to do a post (or many a few!) on the whole renovation of the decking, verandah, fence, fountain and Holman garden lighting system. I'm so happy with the final results and have received many compliments from neighbours and people who walk past it. It was quite the process but I really enjoyed the planning, painting and problem-solving it all involved, as well as learning new skills.

That would be great thanks @RenoRach1, I would certainly encourage you to hit the Start a discussion button when you are in a position to share about your decking project as they are always really popular and helpful for our community.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects