Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a door handle spindle?

adbards
Just Starting Out

How to remove a door handle spindle?

Hi, can't for the life work out how to remove spindle on a Gainsborough privacy set. I'm looking for a small button to depress but this spindle does not appear to have one.

I do not know what series this set is

16966601572794098134084502786771.jpg

20231007_173028.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I remove a spindle from Gainsborough privacy set

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @adbards. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a door handle spindle.

There might be a small detent in the spindle, which could require some force to pull out. I'm unaware of any small buttons that would need to be depressed. Can I ask why you want to pull out the spindle? If you want to change the handle, I suspect you've removed everything possible from this side of the door, and the next step would be to start undoing the fixings on the other side.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dahern
Just Starting Out

Re: How to remove a door handle spindle?

At the base of one of the spindles is a rubber O ring. Remove that and you can remove the spindle.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a door handle spindle?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dahern. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

That's a great point, and the O ring can be difficult to see and remove since it is right at the base. These Craftright 4 Piece Hook And Pick Sets come in handy for getting under the O ring, pulling it out of the grooved locating recess and back up the spindle.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects