Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove frosted glass spray paint from windows?

SquigsMum
Getting Established

How to remove frosted glass spray paint from windows?

So, a couple of years ago, the dear male member of the household (no name no pack drill) had the brilliant idea to use Santa Snow to coat the windows of the back porch entry because the pesky mud larks were bashing themselves into the glass, thinking the reflection was a rival.  

Well, it worked a treat, so we left it there for a couple of seasons until the mud larks finally gave up and stayed away. 

Today I finally got out my glass cleaner spray and bucket of water to clean it off.  

I scrubbed and washed and resprayed and re- scrubbed but that stuff is not shifting. There is a horrid grippy feel to the glass - it wasn't smooth. It finally hit me that what had been used was not Santa Snow but glass etching spray.

So when you have picked yourselves up from the floor, are there any suggestions other than replacing the windows that could be tried?   (Sorry, I couldn't upload any images - my computer is no longer recognising my mobile phone)  Thanks for your time :smile:

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Santa snow wasn't.

Hi @SquigsMum 

Yes that was funny to read  🙈. I mean the situation not the people I didnt hit the floor though.  Firstly i am hoping that white is gone now  with all that scrubbing.

If  not use  some paint removing gel for  a chemical clean too.

That etch primer as you already know made frosted  glass on the surface the internal glass is clear so I am thinking a clear coat will some what restore  the refractive index to the surface of the glass by filling the refracting etching and restoring the glass surface to smooth.

We have to be smart here as some varnishes etc are actually tinted yellow a bit.

OK  found  a good  choice.

BRAND:RUSTOLEUM   2X ULTRA COVER CLEAR GLOSS SPRAY, Non Yellowing, UV resistant fast drying. interior/exterior

Rust-Oleum 298g Clear Gloss 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint  I/N: 1580816  $15.95

Ps try testing my theory first lick your finger and wipe the  glass is it   clearer. if  yes we are on the right track  I do not expect perfect  results.

Try a wet smear of wd 40 on your finger.  

Interesting problem please come back  with your  updated feed back thanks.

Hi Jewelleryrescue and thanks so much for the tips.   I have to drive into town later today and will look for the Rustoleum spray.  I did try WD40 but that didn't work.  Also tried acetone on the advice of a friend but it only took off the very thinnest layer.  Will keep you in the loop! 

Emmie (SquigsMum)

Hi @SquigsMum  Please keep in mind a clear spray gloss will only possibly work if the glass is frosted (pure glass remaining) and clear of  paint.

You said wd 40 failed as a test  so the rustoleum spray will not work  either as it sounds like there is paint still on the glass.

A paint removal gel  might be a better solution to try remove paint correctly first as you are talking about layers (paint layers). apply the gel and  let it work as per its instructions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove frosted glass spray paint from windows?

Hello @SquigsMum

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your window.

My apologies for the late reply. If the spray used was a frost effect spray, I suggest trying to remove it with a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades. I recommend testing a small corner first to make sure that it is a paint-based spray. If it is, the years have hardened its finish to the glass. Please take care not to dig the corners of the scraper into the glass, your goal is to uniformly apply pressure to the entire front of the scraper so that it moves horizontally straight and not on an angle. If successful the paint will come off like scraped ice.

However, if it is an etching spray, I suggest using Diggers 250ml Acetone Cleaning Solvent. Please test a small corner of the glass in combination with the scraper to make sure you can scrape off the hardened etching spray. 

Please make sure to wear safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask while attempting to remove the spray on your window. In the interest of safety, please note that working with glass is dangerous and applying extreme pressure to it will cause it to break. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SquigsMum
Getting Established

Re: How to remove frosted glass spray paint from windows?

Dear EricL and Jewelleryrescue,

Thank you both so much for responding to my question.  I'm filled with delight to report that the spray has been removed! 

Also, I must apologise to you both for thinking I was dealing with etching spray instead of 'santa snow'.

It was thanks to your comment, Eric, that frosting spray would have hardened onto the glass over time that explained the reason it wouldn't wash/wipe off. 

The only suggestion that worked in the end was scraping with an old Stanley knife blade my brother found in his workshop.  Once I found that out late yesterday, I went to work and had it all removed by 9pm last night. I borrowed a mobile phone after I posted my question so I could take pics and  attach before & after shots but am getting a message that HEIC photos are not supported by this message service.  Have no idea how to fix that.  

I'm so grateful to have found this community and no doubt will be using it again in the future - a great service from Bunnings!

Kind regards,

Squig'sMum

Hi Jewelleryrescue,

I wanted to thank you separately as you were a "first responder" to my question. 

I'm pleased to report that the 'santa snow' actually WAS a frosting spray and not an etching spray as I thought.  My apologies for that - I'm no handyman- obviously!  I thought I had the permanent stuff because normal glass cleaning spray and washing, scrubbing, etc wouldn't shift it.   

My brother called in late yesterday afternoon and tried scraping a bit of the film off with an old Stanley knife blade.  

That worked, so after he left, I kept going 'til  around 9pm last night when the mozzies got too much for me.  Finished it off at 7am today and cleaned the glass as normal - it came up beautifully!

When I read EricL's response today, he explained that frosting spray will harden on to the glass after time.  So I've learned something new :laugh:

Thank you again for your valuable suggestions - they may well help someone who actually does want to remove an etching spray!

Kind regards,

Squig'sMum

Hi @SquigsMum 

All that matters is the problem is solved you dont need to be handy all the time .  I learnt a bit to so we are all winners. :smile:

Many thanks for updating us on your success, @SquigsMum. It's great to hear you solved the issue.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects