Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove gap between floating floorboards?

Vivek70
Just Starting Out

How to remove gap between floating floorboards?

Hi, I want to lay flotting boards in my house. I noticed that in wider side it will sit together very nicely. But at smaller side it will not sit properly. I can see a gap. Anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? 

I  going to attach photos as well. 

Regards  

Vivek 

20230108_203531.jpg

20230108_203514.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: flotting boards

Vivek70

Great to see you take this on. Have you watched the Bunnings tutorial https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/flooring/how-to-lay-laminate-flooring ? Bunnnings also has a kit which I found helpful. Capitol Laminate Floor DIY Installation Kit. Its been a long time since Ive done this. First up I would stagger your joints, not have adjoining strips joints lining up. To close up joint you need to press up the strips, the above kit will help or tap with hammer (do not hit end directly as this may damage end, use an offcut or block between flooring and end) Make sure you read instructions that come with flooring usually in bottom of box.  Depending on brand, check if joints need to be glued as this may be necessary for waterproofing the joints in some of the cheaper boards. Years ago I did one of these floors with cheap particle board backing. I didnt glue a couple of joints and it swole up the first time the floor got wet. Thankfully most are now on a vinyl backing and this is no longer necessary  JDE

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: flotting boards

HI  @Vivek70 

I hope you flooring good soon I havnt use  floating floor so I can advise any thing. But @JDE  advise staggering sounds like a key part of the solution I can see how  that would make a difference.

I stopped  by as I like the color of your flooring I might use it at my place.  please do an after photo.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove gap between floating floorboards?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vivek70. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying a floating floor.

It's great to see that @JDE has already offered some helpful advice, and I'd agree that staggering your boards is essential. Typically you'd cut one board in half and lay it at the beginning of the second row to offset the joins. If you do this and the ends of the boards are clipped together, you shouldn't experience the issue where the boards are not sitting nicely. You also might like to pick yourself up a rubber mallet, as you need to give the ends a good whack to clip them together. Your steel hammer will probably damage the surface of the boards if you were to hit them hard enough to join them.

Give the staggering boards a go, and please let us know if you continue to experience issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects