Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove grout haze?

Mitch16
New Contributor

How to remove grout haze?

3D5C2833-DE91-4BA9-A5C9-51E2CE7A7008.jpeg

When our front verandah was tiled a few years ago there has been some grout hazing ever since & it’s difficult to remove. Can someone please recommend a suitable product to clean this up without damage to the tiles & the existing grout? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing grout haze

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mitch16. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Have you ever removed any of the hazing, and do you know if your tiles are sealed with anything? Removing efflorescence normally requires some type of acid, and that could negatively affect your tiles sealer. There are products available for this purpose, like Crommelin 4L Efflorescence Remover. Still, you might like to start with something a little less aggressive such as a dilute solution of white vinegar and water. Apply the mixture and use a toothbrush to agitate the hazing. If the hazing is on top of the sealer and tile, it should be quite easy to remove. However, I would hazard a guess that it is likely within the surface of the tile. If this is the case, you might need to do a thorough cleaning with the efflorescence remover and re-seal your tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mitch16
New Contributor

Thanks Mitchell...much appreciated. I have no idea if the tiles have been sealed but I’ll try & find the original supplier & check with them.

I’ll try the diluted white vinegar solution as you advised however can you please let me know the mix volume of the solution? 
with thanks

Mitch 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mitch16,

I'd suggest using a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Please make sure to flush the area down with fresh water after your attempt.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Mitch16
New Contributor

Thanks so much Mitchell! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects