Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove mould under house on soil?

Fiona4
Just Starting Out

How to remove mould under house on soil?

mould under house on sand/soil?mould under house on sand/soil?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mould under house on soil/sand

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Fiona4. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mouldy soil.

You'll find mould/fungi will develop on continuously damp soil. I'm in Sydney, and I have it under my house also. In fact, I have mushrooms growing under there as well. The ground is completely saturated and has been since late last year. We've never had a big enough break in the weather for it to dry out again completely. In my case, I have several brick vents around the house, which traditionally should provide enough airflow to the area and prevent these types of issues. If you don't have adequate ventilation, you could consider installing subfloor ventilation. Anything from powered fans to brick vents would assist.

If it is just this one location, it's likely no cause for alarm. However, if it starts to flourish all over the soil and makes its way to your house's timberwork, you might want to call a professional to take a look.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

There are several brick vents and can actually feel the air circulating well but I guess it has just been the continuous rain that's causing the issue!!  Have considered spraying with some clove oil but worried it would help transfer spores:(

Fiona

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you mist the area with clove oil, it's unlikely to spread the spores @Fiona4. If you spray with a jet stream, it will, though. Regardless, the spores will become airborne when mature, so it's probably best to attempt inoculating them with the clove oil now.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects