Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from carpet?

andrea2
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from carpet?

I managed to paint my entire house but when I was taping off areas the paint work came off when removing the tape. So I tried to put drop sheets without taping so now I have paint stains on my carpet and want to know the best way to remove them

please help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove paint from carpet?

Hi @andrea2,

Do you happen to know if the paint was water-based or oil-based enamel? That would be helpful for our members to know when providing solutions. Also, some images showing the areas where the paint has gotten onto the carpet would be great.

If it's water-based paint, you can try some hot water mixed with a bit of dishwashing detergent. Dampen the paint and allow it to sit for a few minutes. This should soften the paint and enable you to scrape at it with a knife or scraper. Try not to embed the paint further into the pile. 

For oil-based paints, you could sparingly dampen a cloth with Acetone and place it on the paint. Use a needle to try and pick the conjoined carpet fibres apart and then pick the paint out of the fibres with a knife or scraper. You can also try using cold water and dishwashing detergent.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some images of the affected areas and providing further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

BCD96168-05DC-4644-BB0C-CA32097A50AB.jpeg

A09A53F3-2583-48ED-A8F5-4B7C48F31F84.jpeg

 this is the worst spot and this is the paint I used. I couldn’t find if it was oil or water based

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @andrea2 

I've had a look and it is a water based acrylic. This is the easiest one to clean up!

@MitchellMc has given great advice and is the best process for cleaning it up. 

Definitely use a blotting technique rather than rubbing.

Let us know how you go. 

Katie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @andrea2,

Have you had any luck so far? That's a large amount of paint, and this won't be a quick fix. Dampen the paint down with hot water and dishwashing detergent mix. You might like to make up some hot compresses with face washers and lay them over an area. The hot water and vapours will emulsify the paint and make it soft again. As @KatieC mentioned, blot the area instead of rubbing and try not to spread the paint around.

Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects