Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove stone flooring?

Hayley86
Finding My Feet

How to remove stone flooring?

Remove old fireplace stone flooring 1.jpgRemove old fireplace stone flooring 3.jpg

Hi, I would like to know how I can safely remove this stone from the floor? It looks like cement underneath, one corner is already loose. Can you please tell me a) the exact tools I would need, and (b) the step by step process of how to do it safely? Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove stone flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hayley86. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing stonework.

That appears as if it is a hearth, so please bear in mind that it's a requirement for a functional fireplace.

To remove the stonework, you'll need a cold chisel and preferably one with a hand guard like this Craftright 2 Piece Cold Chisel Set if it's your first time using one and a club hammer. You'll also need a set of leather gloves, safety glasses and a dust mask.

Start in the section where one of the stones has already become loose. Place the cold chisel blade at the edge of the next stone resting on the concrete layer. Angle the chisel at 45 degrees to the cement slab, and strike the chisel with your hammer with a swift blow. You can work your way around the stone to hit it from different places. The idea is you're trying to drive the chisel in under the stone by fracturing the mortar bedding layer.

If you're struggling to pop off the stones, try cracking the grouting from above first. Place the chisel on the grouted joints of the stones at 90 degrees to them and hit it with your hammer. By cracking the grout joints first it might make the stones pop off easier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell! I got the tools you mentioned today and was able to successfully remove the stone this afternoon! My progress pictures are below as I have a follow up question on the next step:

So the old fireplace has bee decommissioned - filled in and boarded up - and we do not plan to restore it.

What I would like to do next is level out the cement underneath, fill in any holes, and seal it around the edges as necessary, so that it is then easier for me to slot in a cut out piece of the same grey carpet into the hole and ensure it sits flat.

This is the current state of the floor post-stone removal:

IMG_20240116_165411327_HDR.jpgIMG_20240116_165301655.jpgIMG_20240116_165315132.jpgIMG_20240116_165359538.jpgIMG_20240116_165420931_HDR.jpg

If you have any suggestions for a) what tools and brand kit I would need, like a filler for instance, and also (b) the step by step process of what you would suggest to flatten, smooth, and seal this cement surface before I pop the carpet down that would be great! It's also worth noting we will be changing the flooring later this year so it doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be flat enough for me to put shelving/bookcases on the floor. Thank you in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Hayley86 

I suggest removing the carpet first and inspecting the surface if it is level with the floor or is taller than the floor. If the concrete that held the stones is above the flooring itself, it will need to be removed. I suggest using the same tools you used to break the stones.

Usually, I would suggest using Dingo 20kg Self-Levelling Cement to level the area. This is an easy product to use as all you need to do is to add water. You'll need a mixing bucket and a trowel to mix the cement until it is soft and easy to pour. I then suggest running the trowel over the surface to flatten it out. As it is a self-levelling compound it will settle to the level of the floor.

But if after removing the concrete adhesive, you might just need some render to patch any irregularities on the floor. Please let me know what you find after lifting the carpet. I can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

Hi Eric, thank you for your reply. I wasn't able to completely remove the carpet but I was able to pry it up and take a photo of what is underneath the carpet, which I have attached below:

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-18 at 15.06.16_7626aa9a.jpg

If you could please follow up with a specific suggestion on what render product I would need (a brand recommendation or specific type recommendation) as well as steps on how to apply it, that would be great, thank  you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Hayley86,

So, you'll need to pull up the carpet further and remove the carpet nailing strips placed around the fireplace hearth's perimeter. You need to do this, or you'll end up with a bit hump in that area. Then, I'd suggest you fold the carpet back away from the opening onto itself and tack it in place with nails. You need to pull it back as far as possible from the area to give yourself room to work.

See the compressed fibre-cement sheeting? We want to try and level the area to be flush with that surface. To start, you might like to knock off any cement above that level, such as at the back against the wall. Next, you can mix up the self-levelling cement and pour it slowly into the area over the mortar base. Only add a small amount at a time, as you don't want the area to fill up and be higher than the surrounding fibre-cement sheeting. As mentioned, trowel off the area so it is flat and smooth. Remember to cover your carpet with plastic to avoid any spills or splatters.

Once the cement is dry, you can insert your new carpet. It might be best to use contact cement to adhere the edges of the old carpet and the new carpet in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects