Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove stuck plastic tiles on concrete?

kmcorbett
Just Starting Out

How to remove stuck plastic tiles on concrete?

we are doing a project in Tonga. it is very hard to peel off plastic tiles off concrete floor after the Tsunami in Tonga. takes a long time so we need to work out the best way on how to remove them as only got 10 days in Tonga and back to NZ so tat we can either paint the floor or tiling it which ever way that more economical. please advise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove stuck plastic tiles on concrete?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kmcorbett. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing stuck tiles.

What sort of methods have you already tried? First, use a tool like a Ezitile Heavy Duty Floor Scraper. This could give you the leverage and power to remove the tiles effectively. Pair that with a Tajima 600mm Yellow and Black Heavy Duty Scraper, and you'll have some decent tools for the job.

Using a multi-tool could be another option to remove stubborn areas, but I'd only use it in combination with the above scrapers, as it is slow going and best reserved for areas that the scrapers can't remove. Tonga appears to run 240V and the same plug as AU/NZ so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

A rotary hammer drill can also be used to chisel away the tile and glue. I'd recommend you also purchase a wide chisel bit to go with it. If this worked effectively, then it would be a proficient way of removing the tiles.

The only alternative I can think of that would assist would be a chemical solvent that could soften the glue, but that would obviously have to be sourced locally.

Remember your PPE, including gloves, safety glass and a face mask.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects