Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove white stains from woodfloors

Brian8
Just Starting Out

How to remove white stains from woodfloors

Hi, how can I remove white stains left from moisture on wooden flooring? Please see attached picture of what the issue is.

20221012_112233.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove white stains from woodfloors

Hi @Brian8 ,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust our wonderful members will be able to provide you with endless inspiration and helpful advice. 

This is a question that has popped up before, and we have put together a Best Advice article with suggestions from our members. Have a look here - How do you remove marks on a timber floor?

I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL will also be happy to share his thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove white stains from woodfloors

Hello @Brian8

Thank you for sharing your question about removing white stains on your wooden floor. You're absolutely right with your diagnosis, what you're seeing is moisture trapped in the timber fibres of the floor. This is often a sure sign that the finish has been worn down and you might want to consider applying a new coat of sealer.

One of the safest ways to remove the trapped moisture in the timbre fibres is with a hair dryer. Put the hair dryer on a moderate setting with regular heat and let it pass over the affected area in a circular motion. Please do not use heat guns or propane burners as these will scorch the timber floor. It will take some time but you'll start to see that the white patch shrinking and hopefully fading away. 

Keep in mind that if the towel or cloth that was left on the floor was sitting there for several hours, there will be several hours' worth of moisture in that spot. Several hair dryer sessions may be needed to completely dry the area off. 

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects