Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove window locks?

Scootergirl
Getting Established

How to remove window locks?

I plan to paint my old aluminium window frames. They have locks on them & as I now have security screens & don’t need the locks, I want to remove them when I paint. However, they don’t have a normal screw fastening (for security purposes I assume!) - can anyone tell me how I can remove these? 

379E68F0-1A85-4993-9896-4710DF1B1B0B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove window locks

Hi @Scootergirl,

There are a couple of options. A tradesperson would take an angle grinder and cut a slot across the top of the screw deep enough to get a flathead screwdriver in there. The second option is drilling out the screws. Both options involve working very close to the glass, so there is a risk of it shattering. If you do attempt to drill out the screws remember your PPE, including cut-resistant gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and a face mask. If you are not confident at all, I'd highly recommend you enlist the services of a professional to complete this job for you. One small tap on the glass could shatter it. Also, using an angle grinder in such a fashion should only be done by someone with experience. You might like to use a rotary tool and cut-off wheel, which is significantly safer than an angle grinder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects