Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renew external front door frame?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to renew external front door frame?

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

Good evening Workshop Community Friends. I would love to get your friendly advice please. The house 1994. The front door frame is fading and weathered, quite badly in some areas. We don’t know what type of timber the door frame is sorry. It looks like the varnish is wearing off. 
I would like to have a go at trying to revive it. Would I sandpaper it first and then add a varnish for outdoors ? Willing to learn from everyone’s experiences.

Also , hubby found at the back of the shed, this can of varnish, he thinks it may have been left from the previous owners 20 years ago. I opened it up to have a look, doesn’t look good and dreadful smell.
I hope these photos will be helpful. 
Kind Regards Michelle 😊

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to renew external front door frame?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Thanks for sharing that question about renewing your external front door frame. My first suggestion is not to use the old can of Cabot's that's been sitting in the back of the shed. Ideally you don't want to store paint that long and it's best to use it while it is still fresh.

If you're planning on re-staining and varnishing your front door frame, it's necessary to sand off all the old stain. I suggest using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 180 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll to remove all the old stain and varnish. Once you've sanded it down to timber, I recommend doing a fine sanding of the surface using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll

If you're not keen on doing it by hand, I propose looking into the possibility of using an electric sander to shorten the sanding time. Mak sure to wipe off all the sanding dust on the door frame with a clean rag. Once the frame is ready for painting, I recommend masking the surrounding area with painter's tape and drop sheets. This will protect the area from errant paint splashes and accidental over painting.

Before you begin, I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the stain and varnish sample board in the paint department so that you'll get a good idea of what they look like when applied to timber. My number one tip is to invest in a good brush if you decide to use one. 

Just in case you are curious the Cabot's 1L Teak Exterior Varnish Stain is still available at the store.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your timber door frame)

Here are some discussions regarding re-staining and varnishing front doors and frames:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@EricL  You are the BEST !!!!!! Thank you for helping me with this project and advice. I will buy what is required. And I will read up with the information you have provided 😃😃

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @mich1972 

I saw your door frame and went "Oh yeah know that feeling" @EricL  has nailed it with not to use old paint/varnish.. I keep telling myslef to take it to the paint recylers at the tip or wait for the chemical clean out days and invaribly forget. 

I have just renovated my front door that was badly flaking its paint on the area around the door frame and the door. Mine wasnt varnished but had layers of paint over it all. 

Front entrance door renovation 

Sometimes while stripping it back I thought "Will it ever end" but then Id look at what the door was and where I was up to and I just kept taking small segmants at a time. Hope to se eyour project up here one day!

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @Dave-1 that’s why I love it here in the community, great friendly advice 😊😊

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_0955.jpeg

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

 Many thanks to Eric, Mitchell and Dave for your kind support and advice you all gave me to refresh our exterior front door timber frame. 
I hand sanded it as best as I could. Wiped the dust off with a slightly damp cloth.

I gave it three coats of the Cabot’s Exterior Varnish Stain. Really happy with it. The door frame gets the really hot afternoon sun so hopefully it will last for quite a few years. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Lovely work, @mich1972 that came up a treat! Job well done!

Many thanks for sharing your results with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_0976.jpeg

IMG_1006.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

After finishing the door frame, this ceiling panel was driving me nuts, it was a water stain that occurred from a cracked roof tile ( that was replaced ) so I prepped the ceiling, cleaning the dust and cobwebs away and gave it two coats of Zinsser paint.
I was going to ask if I could use my interior kitchen bathroom Ceiling paint to paint this panel ? Or will I need to buy an exterior ceiling paint ? It is just for this one panel.  

Thank you Mitch, I want to do the door as well now 😂 because that’s faded !!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects