Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a scuffed door threshold?

RajB
Getting Established

How to repair a scuffed door threshold?

Hello group,

I am so glad to be a part of this community.

My front door has a timber threshold that is covered by a porch but gets exposed to the elements sometimes. It has become scuffed and has lost it's stain as well. Can I get some guidance please on how I can rejuvenate this back to its former glory? In the picture I have attached, the top part is front door which has the same stain. The threshold and door started with the same stain but the threshold's got all scuffed up.

EDIT: If it helps, the stain is "Sikkens Rosewood Stain".

Thanks in advance. WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 4.26.48 PM.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair a scuffed door threshold?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @RajB. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find the site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can. Let me also tag our ever-helpful members in @JoeAzza@Noyade and @Tyro to see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @RajB 

I like you using sikkens some  good  products.

You job  is a light  sand 800gt of that thresehold untill the timber color is uniform again as you notice currently it is patchy. Use a  bit of rag or chux disposable wipe  apply the stain to the rag and wipe it on timber uniformally and your good to add another great  sikkens product to help protect the thresehold from premature wear.  

Sikkens Cetol TGL Gloss Plus  a clear hardwearing finish  UV stable and  while your at it use the same on the door for a standout finish.

:smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RajB,

Some great advice from @Jewelleryrescue. There's a little deterioration there, so I'd go with a light sanding with 240-grit sandpaper before applying the stain.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @RajB 

I grew up in a house with timber trim everywhere and there were always repair and recover jobs being done, especially to the exterior timber.  Sanding, oiling and painting were part of our regular holiday chores!   Unless you are planning on moving to a different house in the near future, you might want to consider getting the porch extended to provide more protection from the elements.    Or becoming a Bunnings community expert on repairing exterior timber trims!  😂

Good luck 🤗

Thanks heaps! @Jewelleryrescue@MitchellMc and @Tyro. I had no clue and thanks to you guys now, I know what I need to do. Much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @RajB and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects