Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair broken window handles?

DIYBeginner1
Growing in Experience

How to repair broken window handles?

Hi guys, I tried to do a repair of broken handles on windows on aluminium joinery to rivet them on but when I pre drilled the holes I cracked the glass. Is this because I went in too far? Any help appreciated. TIA

Toni

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Broken handles on aluminium joinery cracked window glass

Afternoon @DIYBeginner1 

Ouch to the cracked glass 😕 Do you have a pic of the windoow frame you were trying to drill? And where the holes you are trying to drill are?

I was nervous the other day when i was using an electric sander next to my front door window edge. I was concerned that the vibrations woould crack mine. Repairing window runners before I tracke dsome down from a glass window seller. Maybe they would have some replacement handles that you wouldnt need to drill new holes?

The other bit of information I found, If I took the window pane to the glass place for repair it was generally a lot cheaper then getting them to come out. (You just need to leave someone at home I suppose :smile: 

Will wait on the pics to see what you are doing.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair broken window handles?

Hello @DIYBeginner1 

I totally agree with @Dave-1's suggestion, if it's possible to take the window panel to an aluminium joinery shop, you should be able to have it repaired. In order to give our members a better idea of your windows assembly, would it be possible for you to post a few photos? We can then make recommendations on how you can take it apart.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYBeginner1
Growing in Experience

Thanks, sorry for the slow reply. Ended up taking the pics of the side rail one's that cracked when drilling. I used a small bit but obviously hit the pane. Any info on these aluminium panes for future awareness would be appreciated. window20230706_115229.jpgwindow20230706_115245.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@DIYBeginner1 

I move slowly with projects also so no worries about taking time to get back to us :smile:

Yeah like you said it looks like you have drilled into the pane of glass. If you were going to drill another someday I wouldnt go any closer to the edge then what the holes are for the original handle. I would say there are very close tolerances in the manufacture of windows. (So if you go straight up in the same line as the original holes then there is a good chance glass wont be there. 

When you take it to a window place to repair ask if you can watch, you maybe lucky and they say yes and then you will get to see how they are put together :smile:

Sucks about that crack but we all do it at some time. My first was trying to remove putty from an old window andthe same thing happend.

Welcome to the club :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYBeginner1 

Thanks for posting those photos of your window. I was hoping that the cracks were not that severe, and you could possibly just bring the glass to the glazier for a copy. But it looks like a major crack has emerged and it will not be possible to take that apart as a whole. As an added recommendation, I suggest observing carefully if the hinges can be unscrewed without causing further issues with the window.

However, if the hinge screws are hidden or are in a difficult place to access, I suggest preparing yourself for the possibility that you'll need to ask the glazier to do a house call and repair on site. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

DIYBeginner1
Growing in Experience

Ok thanks and tell Dave thanks too - big thumbs up to your crew for the comms and info'.

Hi @DIYBeginner1,

I thought I'd add to the conversation that if you attempt to remove the window to take to glazier, please remember to wear PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, enclosed footwear, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers. Since it's not safety glass, we certainly wouldn't like for you to injure yourself.

Mitchell

Hi Michell,

Oops, I totally forgot this time round but thanks for the reminder. I will always try to remember safety first. Accidents definitely happen more often than usual these days. Especially where information is not followed. Stay well and all the best. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects