Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks around perimeter of floor?

moloko
Growing in Experience

How to repair cracks around perimeter of floor?

Hello,

As per the enclosed pictures, I have cracks/separations in some areas of the loungeroom around the perimeter where the floor meets the wall (I live in an apartment). In some areas, the crack extends into the wall itself (pics 1 & 2), instead of just the perimeter of the floor area (pic 3). I'm wanting to know how this would be addressed?

It's a tiled floor and the walls are cement render. The unit was bought new (I don't believe these cracks were there at the beginning) and is 20 some-odd years old. 

Also, as a tangent, does anyone know whether this is a strata responsibility rather than owner's responsibility?

Your help is appreciated!

Pic 1Pic 1Pic 2Pic 2

Pic 3Pic 3

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair cracks around perimeter of floor?

Hi @moloko,

Let me first extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community. It is great that you have decided to join us and ask your question about repairing your floor crack. Our resident DIY pro @EricL will be on later this afternoon to help with your query, in the meantime, let me tag community members @TedBear and @CSParnell to see if they have advice they can share. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @moloko

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing the cracks around your floor perimeter. Generally speaking, the loose parts near the crack is usually chipped off with a chisel exposing the face of the crack. The purpose of this is so that the fixing mortar can be placed properly on the damaged area. However, because some cracks are so small, you'll need to use a bottled repair compound in coordination with the mortar. 

But, before you begin, I suggest asking the strata management if this type of damage is supposed to be fixed by them? It wouldn't hurt to ask and you'll at least know who needs to fix the damage.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @EricL 

The following epoxy repair kit could be a good choice as well.

I find 2 part epoxy products always much more durable than single stage.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-1l-high-strength-epoxy-repair-adhesive-concrete-fix-kit_p0960347

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell 

Thanks for that extra product suggestion. Let me tag @moloko to make them aware of your recommendation. It's always handy to have alternatives when doing repairs.

Eric

moloko
Growing in Experience

Your expertise is much appreciated @EricL and @CSParnell !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects