Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks between door frame and wall?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

How to repair cracks between door frame and wall?

6B3F3E6A-816F-44FE-889A-1E46489C4FA7.jpeg

0E75B03C-7CE5-4D5B-B47F-2FE521341FE8.jpeg

0789F8ED-E6CA-4F11-BD4A-65D96C6FEAD6.jpeg

Wall cracks - best way to fix between door frame & wall? Corner ? 

Should mesh tape only be used with “Hot mud” not with Base Coat 45? 

Can All Purpose Joint Compound be used with Mesh Tape?

Paper or Mesh tap for ceiling cracks ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracks between door frame and wall?

Hello @Nanne

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing cracks between the door frame and wall. This type of damage is often caused by the movement of the house. If you're after a quick repair, the damage has to be sanded off and a coat of plaster needs to be applied to the damaged area. It then needs to be sanded flat before new paint is applied.

If you are doing a lot of repairs and you need to wait several days before applying the next coat of plaster then "hot mud" is the one to use. I recommend Gyprock CSR 2kg Rapid Patch, this is an ideal medium to use as you don't have to mix the whole bag, only what you need to use to accomplish your repair for the day. 

The all-purpose compound can be used with mesh tape, however, keep in mind that the bucket dries quite fast so make sure to get only the bucket size that you need. For ceiling repair, I recommend paper instead of mesh as it creates a lower profile and will require you to use less plaster.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to repair cracks in plaster

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

I tried the Rapid patch but I am a beginner so it dried too quickly ... so I have Base Coat 45 and All purpose Joint Compound incl mesh and paper tape.

Just to clarify - If I use Base Coat 45 and paper tape for ceiling- No plaster inside the crack before the tape? on top of the tape?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nanne

The sequence is plaster then paper then plaster. Just keep in mind that the first coat of plaster does not need to be thick, it just has to be enough to hold the paper in place and then plaster over the paper.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects