Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks underneath ceiling cornices?

moloko
Growing in Experience

How to repair cracks underneath ceiling cornices?

Hi all,

I have cracks directly beneath my ceiling cornices and would like to know how to fix them. The cornices themselves are fine and haven't moved. It's just the appearance of these unsightly cracks underneath them that I would like to address.  Pics below for reference:

IMG_20220814_123740.jpg

IMG_20220814_123757.jpg

IMG_20220814_123810.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Cracks Underneath Ceiling Cornices.

Hey @moloko thanks for asking the question, first off the cracks are more often just caused by movement of the house which you will get naturally depending on the type of build, the flooring and foundations.

For the cracks a good quality gap filler and silicon application tool will do the job that way you have the flexibility of the gap filler and it is able to be painted.

If you recoated in plaster filler or top coat you run the risk of it recracking.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-475g-no-more-gaps-interior-multipurpose-gap-filler_p1230010

https://www.bunnings.com.au/paint-partner-4-piece-silicone-scraper-set_p1660196?store=8085&gclid=Cj0...

Hope that helps some

Carl.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cracks Underneath Ceiling Cornices.

Hi @moloko,

It's great to see you've already received some excellent advice from @CSParnell. You might also like to look at the helpful step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap. In the guide, they are sealing a tiled corner, but it's a similar process.

Please let us know if you have questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects