Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair laminated floorboard?

Mazdarx
Just Starting Out

How to repair laminated floorboard?

A friend purchased a house about 10 year old that has laminated timber through the kitchen living room and passage areas.  A piece of the very thin top layer (giving the wood likeness) about 30 mm by 30 mm triangular shape, has broken off revealing the white surface below.  The broken veneer would be about as thin as a hairspray strand! An attempt to glue it did not work.  Any ideas how this might be easily repaired  would be greatly appreciated

thanks and cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair laminated floorboard?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mazdarx. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing laminate flooring.

What type of glue did you try using? I'd recommend a two-part epoxy like Gorilla 25ml Clear Epoxy Glue. You'll need to remove any traces of the previous glue you tried. Only a little glue will be required, enough to wet the surface and no excess. You don't want any excess getting on the surface of surrounding boards.

If the white surface below and the bottom of the top layer are exceptionally smooth, you might like to rough them up slightly with 600-grit sandpaper. This will key the surfaces and allow the glue something to bite into.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, but I think it is beyond that solution.  The stuff that gives the wood appearance is too thin and brittle to sand paper, and it fractured as soon as I touched it.  Is there any way of touching up/filling the white patch?

thanks and cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are Waxstix Touch Up Crayons @Mazdarx, but they are generally designed for minor scratch and chip repairs. If the chip doesn't have much depth, the crayons can be used to colour the white area. Alternatively, you could have some enamel paint mixed up in a similar colour to the floor and blend the white area in.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects