Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair the render?

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

How to repair the render?

Hi All...

My wife noticed this damage to the render on the outside of our house...

It is only a small patch, but it's on the corner... Just wondering what would be the best solution to fix this.????

All help gratefully accepted..

Cheers

Julius

P.S. Images are attached

20210808_154106.jpg

20210808_154119.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair the render?

Hello @Jolly181

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing the render on the side of the house.

I suggest using a Mr. Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush or similar to brush out the loose render that might still be there. I recommend using a Sabco Jumbo Wash Sponge to dampen the exposed render before patching it with mortar. You will need a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to mix the mortar and to apply it to the damaged area. I recommend using the Dingo Fast Set Mortar - 3kg mixed with water to repair the damage. Mix only the amount you think will need to repair the area. Make sure to place the unused mortar in a ziplock bag for future repairs. It sounds like an interesting repair job, any photo updates you can provide while you fix it would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to render

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Thanks, Eric...

I will certainly use each and every one of the items you have suggested....

WIll also post finished photos once completed..!!

Cheers

Julius

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

20210821_114337.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's looking fantastic, @Jolly181! I've sure @EricL will be very impressed.

Just a touch of paint, and you'll be done. Did you need any recommendations for the paint? My personal choice would be Dulux Weathershield. Your paint appears to be either low sheen or matt.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Morning Mitchell...

I was very happy with the outcome and wanted to thank @EricL for all his suggestions..!!!

We have some spare of the house paint in the garage... If that is no good, then I will take a sample to Bunnings and get more..!!  I have assigned the wife to do the painting (She loves it)..!!    Another photo to come when all is done..!!

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The paint used for the house will be fine @Jolly181. @EricL is taking a well-deserved break at the moment, but we've both tagged him, so he'll be notified of your success upon his return.

Can I just add, you've done an excellent job of replicating the same texture as the surrounding render. That's the hardest part of repairs like these. I trust you won't even be able to see the repair once painted.

Great work!

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Thanks, @Mitchell for that vote of confidence..!!!

I tried to follow all the hints and suggestions in the video and was very pleased with the outcome.... 

Later on in the afternoon, when it had dried a lot more I even took a metal ruler with a very nice straight edge and ran it across the render to take out any bumps and ridges more even... !!

I am looking forward to seeing the final outcome myself..!!

Enjoy your break @EricL

Chees

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jolly181 

That is an outstanding repair job! As my colleague has mentioned, you've even managed to match the finish on your original render. I'm sure you and your wife are very pleased with the repair. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the patch painted. If you have any future repair projects lined up, please keep us updated. 

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi, @EricL When I finally get the chance to paint the patch I will send a photo..!!!!

I will have TWO(2) other projects in mind after this one, that I am hoping you guys can help with...

One will be to do with Straight Edge Ceiling movement and the other will be outside on the lawn..!!

Looking forward to gaining more skills and expert help from the team..!!

Cheers

Julius

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects