Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this cracked ceiling?

sanzumhrjn
Finding My Feet

How to repair this cracked ceiling?

Hi all, l have tried patching up this crack twice with tape and multiple layers of putty but it keeps coming back slowly. What's the best way to fix it? Much appreciated your help.

IMG_20220916_093611.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair this cracked ceiling?

Hello @sanzumhrjn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your cracked ceiling.

If the crack on your ceiling keeps coming back, it is an indication that somewhere along your ceiling structure expansion is occurring. In these conditions even if you re-plaster the area the crack will return because of the expansion. In order to prevent your ceiling from developing further cracks, an expansion joint must be installed by a plastering professional.

Installing the expansion joint requires knowledge and experience in using the product. I don't recommend it as a D.I.Y. project. I propose engaging the services of a plastering professional to properly install the expansion joints for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sanzumhrjn,

Is this a single story building or is there a floor above this?

Reason I ask this is because it could be caused by a broken roof truss chord in the roof above this area.

Personally, I would get a qualified builder to have a look at this, as there seems to be some abnormal movement going on here.

Patching this up isn't going to solve any underlying issue above the ceiling.

Cheers,

Mike T.

It's a single storey building. I am not sure should I get a builder to look at or should I get a professional plaster to do it!? But I am thinking it's better to have a look above it. 

Thanks for your reply

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sanzumhrjn

Getting an experienced builder is sometimes better as they might have the skill to do plastering as well. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sanzumhrjn,

The only reason I suggested a builder is because, seems this crack has come back a second time after it having been repaired, suggests there is structural movement apparent.

A ceiling should not crack just because it does, there seems to be some sort of lateral force that is causing this to happen.

I would personally get this looked at sooner rather than later, I'm not trying to scare you at all, but small cracks are easier to remedy than large ones.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects