Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace LED downlights?

emmadave
Growing in Experience

How to replace LED downlights?

Some of my led diwnlights are starting to flicker I've checked and they are just plugged into a socket in the ceiling you can buy them at bunnings but it says on packaging must be installed by electrician but they have a plug on them surely I can just plug them in?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to replace LED downlights?

Hi @emmadave,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop,

The idea is that if there is no socket in the ceiling that you can connect to, you would need an Electrician to install a circuit for the lights.

However, as you already have sockets for these fittings, just plug away!

Cheers,

Mike T.

emmadave
Growing in Experience

But it says on the packaging must be installed by electrician. These downlight come with plug attached  and there is a socket to plug into is this legal 

emmadave
Growing in Experience

So it's legal for anyone just to plug in?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emmadave

Can you please provide details on the product you're asking questions about? Typically, lights with plugs already attached are classified D.I.Y. and don't require an electrician. However, if the packaging says that they must be installed by an electrician, I suspect something else is going on here. Once you provide the product details, I'd be happy to look into it for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc, @emmadave ,

I'd also be interested in what the packaging says, as this sounds really confusing.

Usually what would happen these days with new installations, is the Electrician that wires the house would install an un-switched single socket-outlet in the ceiling adjacent to where the individual light fittings will be and would also fit the lights as a rule.

The sockets in the ceiling are then controlled from the light switches in the rooms where the lights are, this is so much easier and there is no need to have to get an Electrician in, should one of the LED drivers fail (and lets be fair, some of them DO fail)

It is then just a matter of plugging in the new lighting into the socket provided and fitting the light fitting into the hole in the ceiling.

If you require any further advice, by all means, let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

emmadave
Growing in Experience

The led down light is Arlec 9w tri colour 5 pack they say tobe installed by electrician 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @emmadave ,

Is there any chance that you could please post a picture of the Instructions where it says you need an electrician?

Sorry to be a nuisance, I'm a qualified electrician and I think something is not right with them instructions.

Thank you,

Mike T.

emmadave
Growing in Experience

Arlen 9w led tri colour 5 pack.  it seems to say on all led down lights similar to these the same must be installed by electrician. All are supplied with plugs on!

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @emmadave,

Do you have sockets like or similar to the ones they supplied you with, already installed in your ceiling for your existing light fittings?

If you do, ignore the ones they supplied you with and plug the new fittings into the existing sockets in your ceiling.

You only need an electrician, IF you don't already have sockets in your ceiling that will take the plugs on the light fittings you have bought.

Thanks,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects