Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace casement window lock to window winder?

LilyChek
Getting Established

How to replace casement window lock to window winder?

I would like to install security screens on my casement windows in an old Federation style house.

I was advise by the installer for this to work, I would have to replace the current window lock and casement stay to a window winder.  
I thought the Whiteco window winder might suit this purpose.

however, another tradesman advise that as some of the casement windows are hinged on the right side and the others hinged on the left side, I would have to look for window winders that are left/right hinge.  Could anybody advise if the Whiteco would work or where can I get this type of window winders? 
Thank you.

B84BAD11-8672-4E25-8EFD-646905AF8D05.jpeg5320CA27-F68A-4645-9E3A-432727C5A228.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace casement window lock to window winder?

Hi @LilyChek 

Thanks for sharing your question about window winders. The Whitco White Lockable Window Winder will work in both left and right openings. However, the orientation of the winder itself will need to be reversed if you are installing it vertically. This means that when the winder is on the left the winding arm will be on the bottom, but when installed on the right-side the winder will be at the top.   

This is an excellent opportunity for you to test the configuration of the winder seeing that you have a Whitco winder at home. Using a pair of scissors or a sharp craft knife carefully open the bag and slide the winder out. I then suggest positioning it on the left side of the window and testing the winder to see if it will work on the nominated location.

I then suggest testing it on the right side, you'll see what I mean once you position the winder on your window frame. I propose having someone hold the winder as you test its function.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LilyChek
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of installing the winder at the bottom, horizontal position.  Do you think it will still work?

The size of the window is 114cm x 48cm and the winder to be installed along the 48cm side. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LilyChek 

As long as there is enough room to anchor the window winder to the bottom frame of the window it should work. However, I still recommend testing the winder on both windows to make sure that it will operate properly.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

LilyChek
Getting Established

Eric, Thank you for your advice.  I have tried it and it works.  Now I have to try to remove existing lock but it was secured with a one-way screw. 🤔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LilyChek 

In order to remove the one-way screw, I suggest using the Sutton Tools No2 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set. This drill bit extractor set will allow you to drill into the one-way screw. Once you have made a hole in the screw, you then use the extractor bit to turn it anti- clockwise.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects