Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace damaged crown moulding and skirting?

raniia
Having an Impact

How to replace damaged crown moulding and skirting?

Looking for guidance / advice on replacing damaged crown moulding and skirting. 

Our apartment is fully brick and about 20 years old. Few of the skirting and crown moulding have chips or cracks but only one really bothers me.

Is it something I can replace myself or is it best left to the professionals? And if I could do it myself, what tools would I need? And is it costly to be done by professionals?

I’m aware that the corner joins need some precise angled cuts. Any video I’ve seen, they nail the boards in place but our apartment has brick walls. Any advice would be appreciated!

4C58CDD8-DC04-4198-B13D-13F7918BF199.jpeg

9DA862E7-D62A-4B0A-AB2A-B5C80E0C9BFC.jpeg

70FEFD7A-E13E-4DD9-A5AC-6AE5ED4F5004.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing damaged crown moulding and skirting

Hi @raniia,

I'd suggest attempting to repair those areas before going to the effort of replacing the entire cornice. Sanding the damaged areas back with 120-grit sandpaper, so they are smooth and then filling the cracks with Selley's Rapid SpakFiller will go a long way to disguising the damage. After you've completed the repair, give the area a couple of coats of sealer before applying your topcoat.

If you want to replace the cornice, here's a helpful guide from CSR plaster. You'll be glueing the cornice on, and the nails are only there to hold it temporarily until the glue sets. If these are not long lengths of cornice, you can attempt to use Selleys 290ml Instant Construction Adhesive Hold Liquid Nails by itself. Alternatively, Ramset 10g x 45mm Black Ankascrews will allow you to screw into the brick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects