Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sliding door carriage?

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

How to replace sliding door carriage?

I look after a new building and a client keeps breaking the Hume Evolution rollers in the cavity sliding door. (Complicated situation)

I have been trying to find a stronger replacement part but no luck. 

width of the carriage is 37.3mm and the wheels are 25mm. Bunnings I/N: 2035945

i can't even find the details for the track.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace sliding door carriage?

Hi @Ready2go,

What sort of damage do you see on the rollers? Are you getting flat spots on them, are they being chewed up, or are they jumping the rails? What type of door do you have in the cavity; is it an internal hollow core door or a solid one? If you currently have two carriages, do you think adding a third could solve the issue? Have you checked that no fixings or other obstructions are protruding into the cavity that might damage the rollers? It would be great to nail down why this damage is occurring. For instance, if it's due to children climbing the door, adding the third carriage would likely prevent damage.

I'm not sure what type of use the door is getting, but it does come with a five-year warranty on the parts. So if your client breaks the rollers through normal use, that would likely be covered under warranty.

If you're looking to replace the rollers, your best bet might be to take the whole carriage into your closest Bunnings store, and a helpful team member can assist with matching them up.

I look forward to hearing more about the situation and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ready2go
Building a Reputation

the plastic holding the bolt gets broken off. this is supposed to be for a "Robust" house for people with complex needs.

not sure if shaking a sliding door counts as normal use and would be covered by warranty. I need something metal. The door is solid core- so approximately 10-15kgs. We are at a bit of a loss

20230124_142258[1].jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ready2go 

Just to add to @MitchellMc's suggestions, I recommend having a look at the Soft close System for the Evolution Cavity slider. This will prevent the door from being slammed and can be retrofitted into your existing sliding doors. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ready2go,

The only roller carriage I've seen in a similar configuration that's metal would be the Rolltrak Steel Timber Door Trolley Assembly. However, you might find adding a third Hume Door Cavity Extra Trolley Kit To Suit Evolution could provide enough support to prevent the plastic from breaking.

Mitchell

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

that looks like a great product, though I've witnessed my client shaking the door up and down- demonstrating that the door is broken. I do not want to use any plastic carriages. Unfortunately, I think the Hume systems are unique in their sizing and it is a big job to replace the whole cavity system

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

adding extra carriages might be the way to go. I just checked the Rolltrak sizes and it looks too narrow to fit the Hume track.

simple idea that might actually work.

thanks guys!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects