Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace window putty for outdoor window frame?

Jessie1
Finding My Feet

How to replace window putty for outdoor window frame?

I am fixing outdoor window frame, already using wood bog to prepare for painting.  My question is that being an older home the putty surrounding the window is coming away, can I use silicone to seal instead of replacing with new putty and if so which is the right silicone to use.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with rught silicone to use

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jessie1. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a window.

Although glazing putty is traditionally used, you could use a silicone sealant instead. I'd suggest you use a gap filler similar to Selleys 430g White No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler. It's suitable for both glass and timber.

Remember you're PPE when working around the glass, including safety glasses, cut-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace window putty for outdoor window frame?

Hi @Jessie1,

In addition to Mitch's always excellent advice, you might get some help and inspiration from this popular discussion as the member @Shane was new to this kind of repair - Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

Please let us know how you go.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jessie1
Finding My Feet

Re: How to replace window putty for outdoor window frame?

Thanks for all the advice! You know what I will be doing this weekend 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects