Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a featherfinished concrete floor?

tas403
Just Starting Out

How to seal a featherfinished concrete floor?

leveled a concrete floor with ardit featherfinish. Should I seal it with diluted Bondcrete before laying/glueing vinyl tiles. Thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to seal a featherfinished concrete floor?

Hi @tas403

The  ardit featherfinish specs sheet dosnt meantion a longer curing time as some cement products need before adding flooring.

So adding  bond crete to the surface will help seal  in any leaching concrete left over unknown chemisty and provide a  extra bond level for the vinyl tiles just give the bond crete a sunny dry  to naterally if your glue isnt water  based.  

You are adding a sensible problem  reducing step I myself would consider taking.

You can possible delete the bondcrete step  if you simple  want to rinse/mop that floor a couple of times strictly as a precaution and dry it.

I like you thinking. :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a featherfinished concrete floor?

Hello @tas403 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about sealing a feather finished concrete floor.

I propose giving the fresh concrete a few weeks to cure to make sure that there is no trapped moisture underneath. You can accelerate the process by putting an electric fan in the room to make sure the air is constantly moving. Once the surface is totally dry, I suggest running your finger over the surface and see if you can pick up any concrete dust.

If there is concrete dust, I suggest washing the surface with water and a soft broom. Your objective is to remove the dust and be left with a dry clean surface. Once the surface is totally dry, I suggest testing the floor with one of the vinyl tiles. I propose stripping 1/2 of the cover of the vinyl tile and testing it on the concrete floor.

If the tile grips properly there should be no need for the BondCrete, but if the tile come straight off, I suggest using the BondCrete to prep the surface. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project. Please make sure to follow the diluting instructions printed on the packaging.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects