Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gaps in Colorbond roofing?

Damos
Finding My Feet

How to seal gaps in Colorbond roofing?

Hello, I am about to put some insulation between floors at my house and pulled some flooring up to have a look first. I can actually see outside through the roofing as can been seen in the pictures. How do you recommend I seal off these gaps internally. I was thinking of something like Crommelin Superseal that Bunnings has to place in the Klip. lok channel? But it will get wet. Thanks

See daylight through roofingSee daylight through roofingTop of picTop of picUpper left side of pictureUpper left side of picture

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal gaps in Colorbond roofing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Damos. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a roof.

Crommelin Superseal would be a great option and is unaffected by weather. You'll need to Special Order the correct Klip Lok profile. 

To install the seal correctly, it should be done from the outside. You'll need to unscrew the flashing, insert the seal and then screw the flashing down. This compresses the seal into the profile and seals the weather out. You could cut the seal and pack it into the individual valleys of the profile from the inside. Though, it won't be quite as effective.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thanks very much.

I understand it should be done from the outside as you explained, thanks, which I can do in some places but others are inaccessible so might have to be done from inside.

Next question is regarding the flashing screws. Currently it looks like it is attached with rivets then silicone sealed, please see first photo (not sure this is the correct way to install roofing, but this builder seemed to cut corners everywhere, hence why I need to install insulation). Would you recommend using some other type of screw with washer when I remove the flashing to fit the superseal?

Channel flashing rivet with silicon??Channel flashing rivet with silicon??

And one additional question regarding flashing attachment in another spot. It looks like some form of rivet or maybe ramjet rivet with washer. I think this goes into brickwork behind. Do you recognise these attachments? I want to remove the flashing in this area and check for insulation but concerned I might not be able reattach myself if it requires a ramjet gun or the like. Please see second photo. 

Rivet or ramset??Rivet or ramset??Rivet or ramset or...Rivet or ramset or...

Thanks

Damien

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Damos

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. One of the reasons blind rivets are used in flashing assemblies is because they hold both sides of the roof, they are impossible to open and won't shake loose in heavy vibration. However, if you wish to use an alternative, I suggest the Zenith 12G x 25mm Galvanised Hex Head With Seal Metal Screws. Please keep in mind that the hole the screw will make will be much bigger and you are very close to the edge of your flashing. 

As for the screw on the side of your roof, I would be careful removing it as it might be glued onto the brick face. It does not appear to be a Ramset nail so it's safe to remove. Please keep it safe so that you can re-install it again. However, if you wish to change it, I suggest going to the store and matching it for size and width in the Ramset masonry screw set. 

My number one reminder is to please make sure to measure the distance of the valleys on your roof and their height. This will help the special orders desk determine which super sealer to order for you. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Damos
Finding My Feet

Thanks so much you have both been a great help :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @Damos, and don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects