Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal up old brick wall of double storey house?

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

How to seal up old brick wall of double storey house?

The external brick wall and chimney are falling and crack after 150 years.

How can I put a sealant on the external wall or chimney within a tight budget? 

Bunning is selling lot of waterproof painting for the roof or brick wall. Which one is suitable to apply in my case?

17131542559045823106235970635135.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: how to seal up old brick wall of double storey house

Afternoon @Honest52 

Looking at your photo it does appear that the mortar has been  perishing for awhile. I would suggest to repoint before using any adhesive/waterproofing.  Mainly because it does look like heat has helped it deteriorate over time.

I did find this when I was looking up should you repoint or spray proof mortar. "Generally speaking, if the mortar joint has weathered back to at least the equivalent of its width or is soft and crumbling, then repointing in those areas is advisable. Areas which are firm, and any that would need strong chiselling to take out the mortar, should generally be left."

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal up old brick wall of double storey house?

Hi @Honest52 

Thanks for sharing your question about your brick wall and chimney. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I agree that any damage to the mortar must be repaired first. Loose or deteriorating mortar fills must be removed and repaired.

I propose having a look at the Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix to fix the pointing, but if you feel that the repairs will require a larger amount, I suggest getting the bigger 20kg bag. I also suggest using Crommelin 4L Water Based Brick And Render Sealer to seal up the bricks surface.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

Please make sure that you have a roofing harness so that you can work safely at height. But if it looks like the repairs will be quite extensive, I suggest engaging the services of a trades person who have the equipment and experience to repair your brick wall and chimney safely.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Re: how to seal up old brick wall of double storey house

Dave, and Eric

Many thanks for your advice.

I will buy Outdoor Exterior waterproof sealer from Bunning to paint over the old brick wall. Its cheaper than repointing or rendering. Grey colour is looking good.

Its a double storey house so it is expensive to do repointing or spray proof mortar.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects