Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop Gyprock cornice cement hardening?

ironbark
Building a Reputation

How to stop Gyprock cornice cement hardening?

Hi I’ve just opened a bag of Gyprock cornice cement 45 which I purchased from Bunnings a couple of weeks ago. Opened it up this afternoon to put up some cornice and by the time I’d fixed the first piece,        ( less than 10 mins from mixing), the adhesive had hardened in the bucket. The use by date on the bag is Nov 2024!  The 45 was the only one on the shelf I would have purchased a 60 min bag. The weather is quite warm and humid but surely it should last more than 10 minutes?

cheers Jan 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gyprock cornice cement

Hi @ironbark

Provided the right amount of water was added to the mix, I'm not sure why it would set so fast unless it were an extremely hot day. I'd recommend you return it to the store of purchase and discuss the issue with the team there, as I'm sure they'll be able to assist with a replacement.

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ironbark
Building a Reputation

Re: Gyprock cornice cement

Hi Mitchell, thanks for that I will take it back to the store. It definitely was mixed to the recommended ratio of 5kg to 2.5l water. I have scales and measuring jug and mixed 1/2 l water to 1 kg of powder. It has been very hot and humid - would prefer to be sitting under a tree with a beer 😁 but sometimes one has to get on with work 😁. Thanks again, Jan.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects