Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop a door from slamming due to strong/heavy breeze?

shary
Getting Established

How to stop a door from slamming due to strong/heavy breeze?

My access door from living to the garage slam or shut with bang if left open during wind. Is there a stopper or anti slamming device I can use to address this problem, I found following device in bunnings "Taskmaster 65mm Door Silencer - 2 Pack ", but exactly sure if i should buy this because first it has only bad reveiws and there is no manual or example on how to install it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Stop a door from Slamming due to strong/heavy Breeze

Hi @shary,

That device is designed for a kitchen cabinet, and I don't believe it would be up to the task on your door.

Would keeping the door open solve the issue? If so, installing a magnetic door stop would be a simple solution. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shary
Getting Established

Thanks Mate, well keeping the door open is not an option as it will let the dust coming through garage door in to the living and rest of the house.

I can think on the option of Magnetic door stopper. Isn't there any device like damper that can check the door closing speed if left open?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry @shary. I presumed the slamming issue was occurring as the door was being left ajar. So, is it just slamming when there is a strong breeze during the process of you closing it?

You might like to consider a hydraulic door closer as not only will they close the door automatically for you, but they will also limit the rate at which the door can be closed, avoiding the slamming issue.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @shary 

Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using a Dream Baby stop slam. This is an easy-to-install device and prevents the door from slamming. You'll need to go to the Special Orders Desk and ask them to order this off-range item. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to create a soft close internal door? by @imcodebased.

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what it looks like. It will also help the special orders desk identify the product.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

baby anti slam.jpg

shary
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL , this is some thing i was looking for, @MitchellMc thanks for your suggestion. Hydraulic closer will be abit bulky, i will try the dream baby device first. I hope its cheaper has well in comparison. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects