Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to strip layers of paint and restore original door accessories?

bodega
Cultivating a Following

How to strip layers of paint and restore original door accessories?

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions.

We have a victorian style period home and we will be getting the front door replaced soon.

We'd like to try and up-cycle the original door handles and accessories - however they are covered in layers and layers of paint from various owners over the years.

What is the best way to strip paint of these features? Photos attached.

Door BellDoor BellOld KeyholeOld KeyholeDoor KnobDoor KnobDoor KnobDoor Knob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to strip layers of paint and restore original door accessories?

Beautiful hardware @bodega! I can't wait to see what's underneath all that paint.

I'm thinking paint stripper might be your only option, but I am concerned that it could potentially damage the metal underneath the paint. Typically, the paint stripper won't damage brass, which is what I'd expect to find used on this period of hardware. I have slight concerns that the handle might contain porcelain portions, but through reading, it doesn't appear the stripper is likely to damage that either. 

So, I think you're fairly safe to use a stripper, which would be the better option than sanding, as you'd likely destroy the hardware aesthetically before you remove all the paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bodega
Cultivating a Following

Many thanks for your input @MitchellMc - much appreciated!

I've seen a few videos online advising to boil the the hardware before applying stripper - do you recommend this at all?

Any recommendations which brand stripper to use or any tips when applying? I'm all ears for suggestions.

Thanks again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bodega,

I've never personally tried boiling items before applying a paint stripper. I presume it might soften the layers of paint, aiding in their removal. I can't see it hurting at all.

I'd go with just the standard Poly Paint Striper. I like to apply it with a brush and dab it on the surface. It typically works best when thickly applied. Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, face mask, rubber gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, and enclosed footwear. You really want to avoid getting it on exposed skin. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area, too.

There is nothing really technical about the stripping process. Just slap some on and see how it goes. If it works well, all the paint layers will bubble off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects