Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support sagging shelves?

Scootergirl
Getting Established

How to support sagging shelves?

074861A8-DE1D-44C1-9369-BFF7F263A186.jpeg

76AD6417-4C01-426E-B970-39CB4831F660.jpeg

8912A20B-3CA2-414D-9086-2F1EC552089E.jpeg

I have a huge fabric collection & bought a cupboard to store my stash. However the shelves are only held in place by shelf pins - and over time due to the weight of the fabric the shelves have sagged in the middle. One has collapsed already and ‘torn’ the pin out of the side of the cupboard.
I’ve looked at various brackets etc to add extra support - but am worried that the weight will pull the screws out of the cupboard walls (it’s only made from laminated ply board/MDF not solid timber) 
Is this likely? If so, how else can I add support? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to support sagging shelves

Hi @Scootergirl,

Could you share some images with our helpful members so they are better informed and can offer useful suggestions?

If your storage system would still work with central dividers in the middle of the shelves, that's the route I would be going. Take some laminated chipboard and cut sections to the same height it should be between the shelves. Remove the fabric, push the shelves back into position, and wedge the section of particle board in there. Screw through the shelf above and into the end of the chipboard. Continue up the storage unit until each shelf is supported adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I’ve added some photos to show what is happening; & how one pin was torn from the cupboard wall when the shelf collapsed 

Hi @Scootergirl,

A central support, as I described above, would likely be the best solution. By adding the central support in between each shelf it transfers the weight down to the base of the unit.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. I’m trying to picture what you are suggesting - so I would instal like a divider on the middle of each shelf? effectively creating 2 seperate areas on each shelf? 

i don’t have many tools - how would I cut the laminate to size? 

That's it, @Scootergirl. I've created the rendering below for you to illustrate.

If you can take the measurement of the height and depth required for the divider, then a helpful team member in-store should be able to assist with cutting them. They don't need to be the full depth of the cabinet, but at least 3/4 would be good.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects