Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tighten a wobbly door handle?

Alexis1978
Finding My Feet

How to tighten a wobbly door handle?

Please help I have these unusual door handles, they don't have a outside plate to remove. How do I tighten them?? They only have the small screw/ Allen key hole on the bottom though it doesn't  seem to do anything 

20230422_165931.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wobbly door handle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alexis1978. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tightening a door handle.

Do you happen to know the brand of the door handles? If they were from us, then that would assist me in tracking down your installation instructions. 

I would presume that the grubscrew is what retains the door handle. It won't control how secure the handle is, but it will be the first item to undo to access the internals of the handle mechanism. Inside the mechanism, there are likely screws that fix it to the door. These screws are likely too loose or need replacing.

Could you take a picture face on to the handle? There appears to be a cover plate, but it might not unscrew and slip over and off the handle as expected.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: How to tighten a wobbly door handle?

Hi Alexis1978, I agree with Mitch on this one. The grub screw appears to hold the handle and cover plate (one piece) on to the central door mechanism. I would take the grub screw out and proceed to remove the handle. A pic of the door handle on both sides would be great so we could visualise a similar handle. As with some door hardware a brand name is not stamped on the handle. By the pic it is a privacy set ? Keep us updated my friend.

20230430_155043.jpg

20230430_155052.jpg

  I was told these were from bunnings but I am unable to removed any front plate.

Does the grub screw undo on any of the door handles @Alexis1978? Does the cover plate itself unscrew anti-clockwise?

Mitchell

handles.png

Thanks so much for your help. I've finally mastered fixing these door handles. I undone all 4 grub screws and finally the handles came off and I could tighten the inside. I'm very grateful for your help gentleman 

It's great to hear that you've solved the issue, @Alexis1978. Many thanks for updating us.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

iveg
Building a Reputation

Congratulations Alexis1978...keep in touch with us my friend.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects