Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to touch up paint around timber exterior windows?

SamMac
Growing in Experience

How to touch up paint around timber exterior windows?

Hi Bunnings Workshopers, looking for some guidance / second opinion on how I plan to re do some paint work on timber windows around the place.

It was last painted just before I purchased in 2019, so not looking to redo the whole lot thought just where it needs to be done for the moment.

All have some flaking /exposed bits around the joints as shown in the photo’s and on the lower edges some cracked bits etc.

My initial thought is to scrape / pull off any obviously flaking bits along each crack / join and flat section, pull out any old filler that is cracking/flaking away already there.

Fill with a filler of some kind that has reasonable movement but is also paintable (I have some Polyfila S20 and Earls multi fill on hand but will test how well it takes to painting, so far in terms of drying the poly fill remains more flexible, the earls brittle so thinking the polyfil is a better option if paintable happy to take suggestions).

Looking around the site here there are answers suggesting the use of linseed oil putty on sections with glass, is that because it binds better?

Sand it all down with 120-150 grit, smoothing out the existing layers nearby. Once clean / dry paint over with Dulux 1 step primer then 2 coats of Dulux  Aquanamel.  The Dulux is used specifically as when I bought the place a few years ago there were tins of the paint they had left over from the exterior which I saved in pots. Having said that looks like it was put on an existing layer.

Does this approach sound right? Any advice or tips before I get started?IMG_20231201_080933769_HDR.jpgIMG_20231201_080937345_HDR.jpgIMG_20231201_080940676.jpgIMG_20231201_080943091.jpgIMG_20231201_123814496_HDR.jpgIMG_20231201_123820779_HDR.jpgIMG_20231201_121624816_HDR.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to touch up paint around timber exterior windows?

Hello @SamMac 

Your planned approach sounds good. The Selleys 450g Linseed Oil Special Putty is used when the seal on the glass has deteriorated. But looking at your picture I believe covering the cracks with filler should be enough to repair it. However, if large sections start falling off then it will be necessary to reseal the edge of the glass. Please note that you'll need to wait a few weeks to let the linseed oil putty cure before you can paint over it.

I also suggest having a look at the Poly 310g Large Interior And Exterior Cracks Filler as a second option to the fillers that you have. It's rated for outdoor use and has UV protection added to its mix.

My best advice is to take your time while sanding and preparing the surface. Your objective is to give it a nice flat finish in order to remove the flaking look of paint on the timber surface.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects