Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to vanish and stain timber window and door trims?

charliebohl
Just Starting Out

How to vanish and stain timber window and door trims?

I am wanting to restain and vanish my timber window and door trims. 
Can someone give me an idea of the materials and process required. We just want to start with interior side of window as we are about to paint our walls. 
Thank you 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to vanish and stain timber window and door trims?

Hello @charliebohl 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about re-staining and varnishing your door and window trims.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to paint wooden bay windows? by @micksharky

My best advice in order to protect your appliances from all the sanding dust is to cover them with a drop sheet and fixing them in place with masking tape.

Using an electric sander will greatly reduce your sanding time and allow you to finish your project earlier.

le  

The general steps to repainting your door and window trims are sanding off all the old sealer, then cleaning and removing all the sanding dust in and around the area. Once the timber is totally clean and prepared, you can begin painting.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the methods used are applicable to your painting project)

I also recommend having a look these discussions:

If have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects