Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I render and repair wall?

HM2566
Finding My Feet

How would I render and repair wall?

Hi unfortunately some of render (? is that what it is ?) has come off wall in our old terrace house.  Any advice on how I'd repair much appreciated.  Many thanks in advance. 

IMG_4392.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I render and repair wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HM2566. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing render.

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I'd recommend you take a look at this helpful step-by-step guide: How to hard plaster a brick wall. In your case, instead of plastering the whole wall, you'll be filling in the damaged section.

It's likely plaster over a cement-based render. Both are types of cement but with different particle sizes. Once you've filled most of the area with render, stopping a few millimetres below the surrounding surface, you can smooth coat over the render once it's dried with plaster. Plaster is a much finer finish than the coarse render. This guide will then be helpful: How to white set and internal render wall.

Once you've looked at those guides, please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi many thanks for advice. Sorry I took lazy approach and filled it with polyfiller - it was abit like making icing then icing a cake 😆 It seemed to work though, hasn't fallen out and if I don't look too closely I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself 🤓 Heidi 

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4449.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, Heidi (@HM2566)! From your photo, it appears you've done some A+ work there.

Many thanks for sharing your results, and please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects