Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would you prepare and paint timber windows that have previously been oiled?

AnnieAlexander
Finding My Feet

How would you prepare and paint timber windows that have previously been oiled?

These timber windows have previously been treated with oil but we now want to paint them. What is the process in preparing the windows including cleaning and applying primer/sealer?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would you prepare and paint timber windows that have previously been oiled?

Hello @AnnieAlexander

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to paint timber windows that have been previously oiled.

What is the current condition of the timber window? Is it still coloured from the stain or has it faded entirely? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the frame to give us an idea of its condition? I recommend using Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Tannin And Oil Remover. to clean the timber window. 

I recommend fixing any damages and filling any holes on the timber window frame before you sand it. I suggest using an Ozito 200W Detail Sander to sand the timber window to get it ready for priming. Clean the frame of dust and debris using a clean rag and a vacuum cleaner. I suggest using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. This is an excellent primer as it is formulated for interior or exterior use, it primes, seals and blocks stains.

When the primer has dried off, you can now paint the frame with Dulux Weathershiled tinted to your preferred colour. It sounds like a fantastic project, Any updates you can provide while renovating your window frame would be much appreciated.    

Here is a handy guide: How to paint timber window frames

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @LePallet for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How would you prepare and paint timber windows that have previously been oiled?

F2D42EE0-AD6B-4991-B828-D939D0D8DD60.jpeg

Thanks Eric.

I actually went into Bunnings yesterday and they suggested just sanding, a primer and then paint. This is the most faded of the windows, some are still holding more of the stain. Would you think this needs the first step of oil remover? I certainly think some of the other less faded ones will.

Hi @AnnieAlexander

Looking at the photo that you posted, the frame does look pretty faded. I think sanding the frame should be sufficient to prep the timber. However, if you feel that some of the windows are still heavily stained you can use the UltraPrep Tannin and Oil Remover just to be sure.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you so much!

Give us a shout if you have more questions or get stuck @AnnieAlexander. We're here to help.

Remember to post some updated pictures when you're done. I'm sure any other members contemplating a similar project will appreciate them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects