Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

Prof
Becoming a Leader

I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

Last season I started to grow some tomatoes in large pots outside..

They were regularly watered and fertilized and I had a few tomatoes on the plants..

Then we started to get high daily temperatures reaching into the mid 40's.!!!..

Even with the plants sheltered with shade cloth..they all  died..

This was the second time that it had happened..the first being at another location..

I decided I wouldn't try again..and besides at my age it was becoming impracticable to do any further gardening..

Then one day I happened to come across an article about growing tomatoes all year round indoors.!! This perked up my interest again..

I discovered that one could grow tomatoes indoors in a hydroponic system.!!

I liked the idea because you didn't have to worry about bugs and insects getting at your plants..and the containers were at bench top height..so no bending..no watering and you can have tomatoes all year round.!!!

I've always imagined that hydroponics was just for growing Weed, with all sorts pumps and bubblers  with lights everywhere and using lots of electricity.!!

What I discovered is that with simple systems you can grow all sorts of herbs, vegetables and flowers..

There is a system called the Kratky method..It's basically having a container with liquid fertilizer and putting a seedling suspended in the liquid..That's it.!! No pumps or bubblers or expensive lighting..

Looking at you tube video's I found people were even using ice cream containers and large coffee jars to grow tomatoes in.!! Some used what they call in the US Mason jars..

The more sophisticated ones used plastic tanks and grew several plants in them..

I decided to give it a try..The best place I found was in the laundry..It's out of the way and I found that the space between the washing machine and the cupboard was ideal..

In my next post I will describe what I bought for the system and I'll show the little table I made to fit between that space..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: I'm Growing Hydroponic Tomatoes

That was Hydroponics 101..

Many lessons have been learnt over that period..

The end result is that the tomatoes had very little fruit and the plants got very leggy..I removed both plants.!!

When I changed the nutrient to "Bloom" on the cucumbers I had flowers everywhere but all male flowers.!! no female flowers..so the plant eventually died..

The plant needs both to propagate..So I removed the plant..

The capsicum plant had one tiny capsicum on it and it never got any bigger..Another loss..

So..back to the drawing board..

Hydroponics 102.!!

This time I have 3 tomato plants of the determinate variety..They only grow about 45cm. tall and generally have more tomatoes than leaves..

All water has been de-chlorinated and pH set at 6.5 ..Initial nutrient  is the Grow type..that worked well for me in the beginning..

Growth has generally been steady and recently I changed the plants to the big tanks..

IMG_20230523_154417[1].jpg

The new cucumber plant is a special type (I can't remember the name) what it means is that the individual flowers are both male and female.!! They are self propagating .!! I don't have to do anything to them to change into cucumbers.!!!

The cucumber plant has now been put into the big 25L. buckets..They evidently drink a lot of nutrient..

IMG_20230523_153926[1].jpg

The lettuce plants have been going banana's...I can't keep up with the growth..I keep picking the leaves.. and they keep growing back.!!!

You can see some in the foreground with the tomato plants..

Here's hoping I have more success this time...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Prof 

Thank you very much for the update on your new venture Hydroponics 102! I've certainly picked up a few things from your first try and am looking forward to this next attempt. Unfortunately, I don't have the space yet to start my own Aquaponics project but will definitely be remedying that this year.

Looking forward to the next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Eric..

So far things are looking good...

I've just changed "Grow" nutrient over to "Bloom" nutrient for the Cucumbers and the Capsicums..so it's onto second stage now..

I certainly look forward to when you get your setup going...

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

This is coming along great @Prof!

I am curious if using "worm tea" would be beneficial for hydroponic fruits and veggies or if it would be too strong. @Noelle@mich1972@LisasGarden what do you think? 

Katie

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@KatieC  I’m not sure about adding worm wee to hydroponics. 
My understanding is you need to use the specific nutrients made for growing and flowering ? 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@mich1972 That makes sense. I wasn't really sure so it is good to get some advice. 

Katie

wd1962
Finding My Feet

Re: I'm growing hydroponic tomatoes indoors

What is the Kratky System. I am interested on how you grow tomatoes cucumbers and capsicums. Can you advise further

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wd1962. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about growing plants hydroponically.

The Kratky system is a simple and low-cost passive hydroponic method developed by Bernard A. Kratky. It involves growing plants in containers filled with a nutrient solution, without the need for electricity or complex plumbing. The nutrient solution is initially filled to a certain level and remains untouched throughout the plant's growth. As the plants consume the solution, the level gradually decreases, creating an air gap that provides oxygen to the roots. This system is suitable for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, and capsicums. 

To set up a Kratky system, you'll need containers, a hydroponic nutrient mix, seeds or seedlings, and a growing medium (optional). Plant the seeds or seedlings in the containers, ensuring the roots are suspended in the solution. Place the containers in a well-lit area, monitor the solution level, and adjust it if necessary. Harvest the ripe produce when ready. The Kratky system is ideal for beginners and those seeking a low-maintenance way to grow hydroponic vegetables and fruits.

@Prof might be able to expand on that further if he's tried the method himself.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi @wd1962 

I'm currently using the Kratky system on all of my plants..

It's a brilliant system and as Mitchell pointed out it doesn't need any power to run pumps and very little maintenance..and is ideal if you're just starting out..

If you're going to grow leafy vegetables like lettuce..all you need is a "mason jar" or similar.. some alum. foil to block out any light from getting into the mason jar..and a net cup with some rockwool to plant the seeds..

The most important thing is to stop any light from getting into the container..Light will turn the roots brown in colour and they will eventually die..

I currently have two mason jars of lettuce..and I can't keep up with the growth.!!

I also have 3 tomato plants..a capsicum plant and a cucumber plant..

The tomato plants and the cucumber plant consume a lot of nutrient water and you have to keep a check on them regularly that they don't dry out..

So they obviously need to be in bigger containers..The tomato plants are in 25L. container and the cucumber is in a 35L. container..

If you have any further questions or need any help in setting up..just let us know..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

I came across an article yesterday describing a product that can be used to boost vegetation, flowering and fruiting.!!

It seemed too simple to be true..but I found the same thing on You tube..

It was suggested to just pour this liquid straight onto the ground at the base of the plants..

I surmised that it could be used in a hydroponic set up by just adding the liquid to the nutrient mix..

The compound they mentioned was collagen.!! I know collagen is good for the body and is a major component of bone, skin, muscle, tendons and cartilage...but never heard of it being good for plants.!!!

So where do you buy collagen.!? Well it turn out that collagen is the main component in pure gelatin.!!!

You just mix one teaspoon of gelatin in 1L of water and pour it into the nutrient mix..

I think it's worth a try..I'll report on my findings..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects