Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for top for tulip table base?

hollyM
Just Starting Out

Ideas for top for tulip table base?

Hi, I recently acquired this tulip table base it’s aluminium with a white matte powder coat.

image.jpg

If we are able to fill in or add a table top the oval shape will be perfect as a dining table for our small kitchen space. We are just unsure what to use to fill it in. Initially we were thinking to cut timber to size and glue it to the top and then paint it white. But now we are leaning towards using a plaster, or some type of resin or something to fill in the top. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: looking for Ideas!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hollyM. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about tabletops.

I think timber will likely be the most straightforward option or potentially resin if everything goes to plan with your pour. Plaster is an interesting choice but generally a softer material not suitable for work surfaces. White grout would likely be a better choice as it's a harder material. Cement/concrete would also be an option and could look quite lovely polished or left matt.

Let me mention a few of our members @lieselroberts, @prettyliving, @craftyhopper, @JoeAzza, @lifestylebymari and @DIYgals, to see if they have some thoughts.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can achieve.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice Mitchell! If we went with a timber option can Bunnings cut the timber to size? And what would be the best way to get a similar white matte finish to the timber? 

what type of cement would you recommend to use if we went down that route? Is there any that would have a terrazzo style finish? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@hollyM,

If you were to use timber, you'd need to get the team in-store to cut a board down slightly larger than the height and width of the oval. You'd then trace the top of your base onto it at home. A jigsaw would then be used to cut out the oval shape. There are not too many hard-wearing matt finish paints suitable for tabletops. You could use Rust-Oleum 340g 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Matt White Spray Paint. Just be aware that matt finish paints tend to mark and capture dirt and grime easier than gloss variants. You might like to use a satin instead. In either case, I'd advise adding a couple of layers of the appropriate matt or satin clear coat for protection.

Have a read through Concrete table reno by @Andadams. There's some great info about concrete tabletops. @Andadams used Ardex feather finish which would be a special order product for our stores. A terrazzo finish was my first thought too, though I'm not aware of any cement product that would replicate it. You could potentially try to mimic it by adding aggregate to white cement.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ideas for top for tulip table base?

@hollyM 

If you just want to fill in the center depression on the table top, you could use car body filler, or Builders bog, I think it's a similar product, @MitchellMc would be able to check if Builders Bog is the same as body filler, that is used on car repairs. You would need to remove the center plate, then fill with the filler, do it in layers and allow to dry between layers, it should dry quickly between coats of filler.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/turbo-500ml-metal-builders-bog_p1210384

JoeAzza_0-1633906953264.png

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Re: Ideas for top for tulip table base?

Hi @hollyM ,

Cool up-cycling project!

I don't have much experience with plaster or resin. But, if I were to use timber, I would glue multiple pieces together and then use a jigsaw to cut it to the shape you desire. You can always incorporate some resin with the timber top.

When laminating the timber I would go through the exact process I used when making this cheese board  but with longer and/or wider lengths.

Good luck with the project and make sure you post some updates!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects