Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas wanted for large art at no or little cost

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Ideas wanted for large art at no or little cost

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-25 at 10.57.14.jpeg

Hello hello!

I am currently renovating a house and ran out of money for the artwork :smile: It is a biophilic design home reno so trying to find some nature-inspired solutions. I like very large art. Any suggestions?

Below is one I came up with. You can follow my reno journey from my Instagram

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-21 at 12.14.54.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-21 at 12.14.55.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-21 at 12.14.57 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-21 at 12.14.57.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-21 at 12.14.58.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas wanted for large art at no or little cost

Hi @Cocoplum

That circular leaf display is fantastic, it has a beautiful texture and is relaxing to look at. If you have palm trees or palm leaves, I suggest trying your hand at weaving fans and containers. These are materials you would normally get rid of in the bin so it's definitely a candidate for the type of art you're looking for.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.   

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your next artwork.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric. Looking forward to hearing  from @prettyliving and @craftyhopper 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Cocoplum,

It looks like you have a fantastic helper with your projects! How large are you wanting to go with your art? Let me tag @lifestylebymari and @sandy_d who are also super crafty as they might be able to give some suggestions. Check out Sandy's Easy DIY Wall Hanging Project for some inspiration as well. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Thank you @KatieC @Cocoplum have you explored wooden movable materials? I am experimenting currently with veneers and thin off cuts of wood, glued to material. The thin wood scraps can be cut into geometrical shapes very close to each other. When it’s complete the material can be shaped, hung on a wall, used a shades. This is an example of an artist that uses these concepts. 

B99265CE-48B8-471B-8F27-A1CD62BCDFF0.jpeg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Cocoplum, take a stroll down to your Universities art department every once in a while and take a look at the projects the students are creating, I've aquired a couple of art pieces from students looking to offload work they're either not satisfied with, don't have room for or simply just want to give it away (free & paid, depends on the work). Always worth a look, IMO. 

Remarka6le
daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Cocoplum 

I have a few ideas and have videos on them if you're interested.

I have both in my home and just love them😊. The second one was the cheapest! https://youtu.be/GXFymDocMbs

https://youtu.be/3NYa4h85y4c

I just remembered another one I did but I only did a shorts on that. It's simply a large Kmart placemat, coaster and a packet of bamboo kebab skewers >> https://youtube.com/shorts/bsIQJ606pUs

Raffia wall artRaffia wall artBamboo wall artBamboo wall art

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Thank you for sharing. Just subscribed to your channel, great hints!

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

This is a great idea! thank you. I have always been impressed with UNSW art students who had to take some business classes with me 😂 

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Yes, I can see a sculpture like DIY with this. Where do you buy these materials from?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects