Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Interior cornice is loose, how to re-attach without removing?

dr_harika
Finding My Feet

Interior cornice is loose, how to re-attach without removing?

Hi, 
I have cornice which has come away from the ceiling around 3mm. I can "push" it back into position, but when you tap on it, it sounds hollow like there isn't much cornice cement behind it. There is only around 600mm total length that needs repair. 

I was thinking of using a quick setting White Construction Adhesive (like Nail It) to somehow squirt in there (not sure how) and then once its "secure", fill the visible gap with a white paintable gap filler to seal it.  Any tips?

Ideally i don't want to have to remove the cornice to re-attach as i fear breaking it.
Bonus points if anyone knows what type of cornice pattern this is called, and where i can get it from?

20230129_111405.jpg20230129_111357.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Interior cornice is loose, how to re-attach without removing?

Hello @dr_harika

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your loose cornice.

In order to avoid removing the cornice from your ceiling, I suggest drilling into it so that you can pump the insides with Bostik 300ml Nail It Fast Cure. The trick is to make sure the hole that you've drilled is big enough for the nozzle to go into. However, you'll need to seal off the holes you've drilled into and repaint the cornice. I recommend using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler to cover the holes.

When the adhesive has properly cured, I propose using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler. It has excellent flexibility and can be painted over.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric!
I managed to lower the cornice enough to get the nozzle of the Nail It Fast Cure in there and squeeze a whole heap in, then pushed it up and held it in place with a block of wood. I just put no more gaps on the top and am super happy with the result as i haven't even needed to paint yet.

Regards,20230201_184215.jpg
Tony

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dr_harika 

That repair job looks fantastic, just a friendly reminder to wash the surface with Sugar Soap to get it ready for the paint touch-up. 

Thank you for sharing your interior cornice repair project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects