Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Internal fireplace lining and tiling

sparks72
Just Starting Out

Internal fireplace lining and tiling

I want to line the inside of the fireplace so I start with a flat surface, then tile afterwards. Would cement boards be suitable to use to line the inside OR do you have an alternative? Also, what type of adhesion method should I use for this please? Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_5983.jpgIMG_5986.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Internal Fireplace lining and tiling

Hello @sparks72

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your fireplace.

It's important that any material you use for your fireplace be fire and heat rated. For example, the Lanko 5kg 156 High-Temperature Mortar is designed to be used on pizza ovens, fireplaces and barbeques. It's rated to resist temperatures up to 1000C. Another example is fire bricks, these materials are designed to be used in solid fuel stoves. 

However, before you begin any repairs, I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations concerning fireplace repairs. It might be necessary for you to engage the services of a registered tradesperson with experience. This means that the repair will need to be signed off. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects