Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there a drillable brick filler?

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Is there a drillable brick filler?

Hi folks - is there a filler product I can use to fill a hole in a brick wall, that I'll be able to drill into again? I was mounting a baby gate and drilled a hole using the wrong bit (metal instead of masonry, see pic below). The slippage made the hole slightly too wide, and I don't really want to put the holes in a different spot.

hole.png

I guess alternately, I could place a piece of wood as a post over the holes like below , then mount the brackets to the wood instead of directly to the wall.

CleanShot 2022-07-15 at 17.03.31.png

Any thoughts either way? Would be great to know if there is a drillable filler anyway for when my weekend warrior self decides to drill some more bad holes.

Thanks a mill :smile:

Danny.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there a drillable brick filler?

Hi @dannyrus,

I can't think of a drillable product that will work in your situation. There are drillable fillers, but not if you're then going to remove 95% of what you've just filled. They'd only work if you filled a significantly larger damaged section than your proposed smaller hole. You could try one like Concremate, but I'd be concerned that the remaining product will crumble in the drilling process.

I'd recommend trying the timber method you've suggested or moving the gate position slightly, drilling all new holes, and filling the old ones. It's not worth having the gate fixings fail and allowing your child access to the stairs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Re: Is there a drillable brick filler?

Thanks Mitchell, I agree - I think I'd talked myself into the timber idea after writing it 👍 appreciate the reply!

Cheers, Danny.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects