Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen Renovation 1.0

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Kitchen Renovation 1.0

Over the weekend we made a lot of progress on our short-term kitchen renovation that we are doing as a stopgap until we complete our full renovation in late 2017. Reno has been delayed due to firing our builder, council approval taking forever and a baby due in spring...

We had a Plumber and Electrician rough-in plumbing and new power points on Saturday morning and have a Tiler filing in the gap in the floor this week. 

The current kitchen is tiny and doesn't have a dishwasher or any bench space to prepare meals. It was also missing cupboard doors...it took no time to demo it as it is basically made out of cardboard.

Before: Real Estate photo from when we purchased the house 12 months ago:

Kitchen - real estate pic.jpg

Before: I painted the cabinets and benchtop with White Knight paint when we moved in because I'm allergic to beige. How-to videos can be found here for tiles and here for cabinets:

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7313.JPG

During:

IMG_7327.JPG

My dog Gus being helpful as always...

IMG_7339.JPG

During: Tiles and wall cabinets gone...

IMG_7342.JPG

We will start building our 4.8m long straightline Kaboodle kitchen this week which will be installed by a builder shortly. 

Temp Kitchen.JPG

We are planning to add floating laminate floorboards (waterproof option) to cover up the ugly mismatched tiles. 

Total budget = around $3500 (will update acurrate costs as I go).

Note: We will sell the cabinets along with anything else that we can on Gumtree when we commence our full reno.

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Re: Kitchen Renovation 1.0

It's amazing that a kitchen was installed with such little benchspace. Whoever did that must have eaten takeaway a lot!

Re: Kitchen Renovation 1.0

I have no idea how the couple who owned the house for 15 years prior to us survived @RenoQueen! They had a young son too.

The cooker was so old that we threw it out within days of moving in...the door fell off as soon as we touched it! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects