Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted window frames and flyscreen door

SJBH
Cultivating a Following

Painted window frames and flyscreen door

We wanted to change the original 1980s colour of our windows frames from bronze to Ironstone. We painted both inside and outside of the window frames including the flyscreens and flyscreen door.

window frames pic 1.jpgwindow frames pic 2.jpgwindow frame pic 3.jpgwindow frame pic 6.jpgwindow frames pic 4.jpg

Materials

Dulux industrial metal shield multipurpose spray can Ironstone colour

Dulux Duramax metal primer spray paint

Painter's tape

Butchers paper

window screen roller

window frames pic 5.jpgwindow frame pic 6.jpg

Tools

How To Paint Window Frames - D.I.Y. At Bunnings - YouTube

Steps

Step 1

1 Watched Bunnings How to paint window frames DIY at Bunnings You Tube video

Step 2

2. Went to bunnings and brought home some Dulax colour sample cards 

Step 3

3. we picked our colour

Step 4

4.we prepped the windows thoroughly cleaning and removing all dust

Step 5

5 went back to bunnings and purchased all our material

Step 6

6. masked up one window, used primer and then paint

Step 7

7 as per the video instructions once sprayed only let it sit a few minutes and we removed the masking of the windows

Step 8

8 We then repeated steps 4,6 and 7. when doing the frames on inside of the house the only extra step was removing blind brackets.We also removed the flyscreen before painting the flyscreen frame to save having to tape that up 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Painting window frames and flyscreen door

Hi @SJBH,

You've done an impressive job transforming your windows from bronze to ironstone! It's fantastic to hear that you found helpful advice by watching the Bunnings How to paint window frames DIY video. Thank you for sharing your process with us; I'm certain that other members will find it incredibly useful for their own DIY projects.

For members who have flyscreens on their windows, you'll find the following article on how to clean flyscreens quite handy. It offers valuable tips and tricks to keep your flyscreens in great condition and will complete your painted window frame projects. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@SJBH Congratulations on the transformation of your windows, I have been meaning to to the same to my back aluminium sliding door/window. now that I have seen yours, I will be adding it to "to do list' Well done, good luck in your entry to the DIY July competition.

SJBH
Cultivating a Following

Thanks and it’s easier than you think we went overboard with covering the window because we have tint and didn’t want to risk over spray good luck with yours 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@SJBH @This is brilliant and exactly what I want to do with our aluminium frames. Love what you have done 😄

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects