Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting door handles: Colour suggestions needed

sper
Building a Reputation

Painting door handles: Colour suggestions needed

Hi community,

I have many door handles to colour and would like to have suggestions on colour I can use for them.

See the attached image of handles and want to colour them matte black.

69BE570E-2E6B-45FC-BF88-E853DAF86802.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint for door handles

Hi @sper,

You'll need to prepare the handles to accept the paint. Paint does not like to adhere to smooth chrome surfaces as there is nothing for it to bite onto. Most of the prep will include scuffing up the chrome surfaces and priming them. You might like to follow @lifestylebymari's project on their spray painted tapware. The key will be to scratch up the chrome giving the primer something to bite into. If you have many of these handles to paint, it would be worth removing them from the doors and painting outside. That way, you can set up a production line and do them all simultaneously. If you're looking for a matt black, then this Rust-Oleum spray would likely be your best choice.

Depending on the size of these handles, it might be worth checking to see how much it would cost to replace them with black alternatives. If you only have several sets to do, then it could be well worth it as they are quite reasonably priced.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects