Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Quick dining table build

pete_brig
Making a Splash

Quick dining table build

In need of a dining table & not a fan of flat pack, I had previously made a table using a merbau fence panel . That's now being consigned to the outdoor after I made a new one using rapidmesh legs and a laminated panel like this one. Was looking at some merbau specials (1800*900 & 2100*1050) when I found another (2400*900) that was Aussie gum (Ash). Although it's finger jointed, it has more character IMO. Cut it back to 1800, rounded all edges (router), stained, then attached legs. Et voila....

IMG_20210711_161353.jpgIMG_20210711_161338.jpg

Sorry, didn't take before photos but if you've seen ash timber, you'll know it's very light coloured.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: quick dining table

Hello @pete_brig

Thank you so much for sharing your quick dining table project. Using a routing tool just gives tables such a professional finish. What stain did you use on this one?

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: quick dining table

Hi @EricL 

I used Bondall's walnut stain and varnish--I chose walnut to counter the lightness of the Ash, and it helps to hide the joints in the panel. Used a cloth pad to avoid brush strokes, and the combined varnish/stain to achieve a more uniform colour. Also, partly thinned (10%) with turps on the reverse bcos it was soaking up the finish.

I initially just rounded the corners on the long edges with a hand plane & tried to sand the ends but opted for the router there (& all edges) to get a better pencil-round finish.

Cheers, Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects