Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

Shane
Having an Impact

Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

I have old steel frame windows at the front of my brick house and all of the substance that is I assume supposed to be holding the window glass in and finishing it off cosmetically is all crumbling and needs to be replaced. 

I have no idea what product to use and how to do it. Can anyone please assist? Obviously it will also need a bit of a clean to get rid of mould etc as you can see from the photo below... And yeah, then we need to get onto repainting the windows, too. 

Window and frame with the putty that needs replacingWindow and frame with the putty that needs replacing

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

Hi @Shane - that looks like a traditional window linseed oil based putty. Selleys make a version (called Special Putty), here’s a link

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/putty-and-fillers/putty/selleys-special-putty

Looking at this, it doesn’t mention steel windows, so you may want to do a bit more research. All the older steel windows I’ve seen have used traditional window putty. Someone else might be able to offer more certainty.

Fairly sure you need to paint linseed putty with an oil based product. I’m not sure if using modern products such as silicon is appropriate - there again some research might help. 

Mould and stuff can be cleaned off with a mould remover. Hope this gets you started, cheers Deb :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Mathy.

@Shane let me tag @MitchellMc for you as he might be able to assist with more product information. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shane. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to recommend how to repair the window putty.

As Deb (@Mathy) has mentioned, that material is likely to be a linseed based putty traditionally used around window glazing.

If you remove all the damaged portions by carefully prying it away with a flat head screwdriver or chisel, you can then apply new putty. Special Putty is not like wood filler, it is sticky and takes a certain amount of technique to get a great finish. I would instead recommend replacing it with Sikaflex 11fc Polyurethane Sealant which you can caulk into the corner. It will give you a much neater finish and is more time-efficient. Make sure to clean out any residual putty that might be left on the glass or frame before applying the Sika product.

If you would like further information about the products or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

Great, thanks for all. Will let you know how I go with it. Certainly favour the easier to use option. Getting rid of the existing putty is not a problem, it is all crumbling off itself. But not sure what product to use to clean up the general grime and mould. Any thoughts @MitchellMc

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shane

I'd recommend some Glitz Spray On Wipe Off and a stiff bristle scrubbing brush. Anything that isn't removed with the cleaning fluid, I would lightly sand back with 180 grit sandpaper. If you think the mould is a returning issue, treat with Selleys Rapid Mould Killer.

I hope that assists you. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Mitchell

zaracat
Finding My Feet

There are special epoxy based putties and mastics available for steel framed windows, but for DIY purposes linseed oil based putty is fine and is what would have been used originally. When replacing putty, it's also important to remove any rust and then prime the exposed steel first, as any rust present will expand under the putty and eventually cause it to flake off.

Steps are: remove any loose putty, dirt, flaking paint and rust (rust remover +/- sand back). Stubborn mould can be removed with cleaning vinegar (6% acetic acid) and an old toothbrush, but make sure you rinse it off well or it will accelerate rusting. Once clean, prime any bare steel with a metal primer. Once this is dry apply putty and smooth with a putty knife. Now leave the putty alone until it has formed a skin - this may take days-weeks depending on weather, and full hardening will take much longer. Once it has skinned, undercoat and then top coat with an oil based paint.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zaracat. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

It sounds like you are particularly knowledgeable when it comes to D.I.Y. projects, and I'm sure the wider community will greatly appreciate your input. We look forward to hearing about all your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you might need assistance or have something to share.

Thanks again.

Mitchell

mareec
Just Starting Out

@Shane  your windows look like ours and we are just starting to repair the flaky paint and cracked putty. Am very interested in how your window repair went.

did the advice in this post help?

did you have any degradation of the putty between the internal side of the glass and frame?

We are also doing a whole house Reno one bit at a time, as we save.

Any lessons learned in repairing steel window frames would be highly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mareec

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your query about window putty repair.

Let me tag @Shane so that they are made aware of your question. Are you planning other renovations in your home? We would love to see what you have planned for your upcoming projects. There are dozens of topics that cover repair and restoration of the home, which I'm sure you will find handy and useful when you make your own remodeling project.

If we can help you with any advice or information about your projects please let us know. Were more than happy to help. 

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects