Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

Shane
Having an Impact

Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

I have old steel frame windows at the front of my brick house and all of the substance that is I assume supposed to be holding the window glass in and finishing it off cosmetically is all crumbling and needs to be replaced. 

I have no idea what product to use and how to do it. Can anyone please assist? Obviously it will also need a bit of a clean to get rid of mould etc as you can see from the photo below... And yeah, then we need to get onto repainting the windows, too. 

Window and frame with the putty that needs replacingWindow and frame with the putty that needs replacing

Shane
Having an Impact

Re: Recommendations wanted for window putty repair

@mareec 

I'm a bit embarrassed, but this project is still on the to-do list! The internal side looks fine and the glass seems to be still firmly held in place, but we do need to do the external. Maybe share some photos of your windows so the Bunnings guys can see yours and suggest what to use. 

Shane
Having an Impact

Huzzah! Good progress finally being made. Now just need to wait for the putty to harden and then re-paint the windows. 

Before:

Before.jpeg

Old crumbling putty removed:

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

New putty:

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4337.jpgIMG_4370.jpg

Shane
Having an Impact

How are your windows going @mareec?

There must be lots of interest in this as the post has had thousands of views! Sorry I told so long to get back to you - it certainly hasn't been too difficult with the putty.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's certainly been a popular topic @Shane, so many thanks for coming back and updating us on your progress.

I must say you've done a wonderful job! I have fairly advanced skills with using fillers and have had tons of practice. I can't say applying linseed-based filler is one of my favourite things to do. It can be incredibly sticky and hard to work with. You've been able to achieve some really impressive results there. To give you an example of how wrong this can go, check out the fine putty work on my glazing. This isn't my work, I'm not that bad.

Any techniques you could share with our members that might assist them with their own window glazing projects? 

I can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_5530.jpg

Overdue shot of the finished job after painting. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @Shane

Many thanks for sharing a picture of the finished project. Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects