Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Refreshing and protecting doorways and skirting boards

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Refreshing and protecting doorways and skirting boards

IMG20211130144105.jpg

IMG20211130144036.jpg

The doorways and skirting boards have seen better life. It is a big house and I do not want to sand back. I'm thinking of just a couple of coats of varnish to add some life back into it. I have posted quite a few different posts now for this house. It's my rental. I didn't know I was going to have so much to fix up. Money is tight so please keep that in mind. 

Wouldy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Refreshing and Protecting Doorways + skirting boards

Hello @Wouldy

Doing paint shortcuts is not recommended. Slapping on a few coats of varnish is not a good idea, poor preparation will undo your paint job. If not prepped properly the varnish will either lift or dry poorly and crack. Because the doors make the place look so dark, I suggest whitewashing the doors and frame. I recommend using Dulux 4L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White this will let you paint the door without having to sand it. You can then look for the most affordable white paint for doors and trim.

Let me tag @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Refreshing and Protecting Doorways + skirting boards

@EricL Ended up cleaning them up and a fresh coat of paint. Thanks for the advice. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects